Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default A new challenge in Northants

I will probably get my 'knuckles caned' but I cannot seem to find confirmation of a 'fact' that has intrigued me for a bit.

A 'connection' provided me with details of the birth of the grandfather of the man who married a 2nd cousin of mine.

The grandfather's name was Joseph Gear. I have managed to satisfy myself with confirmed data up to the death of both himself and his wife Joseph died in 1873 and his wife [Sarah] in 1876.

I have yet to find the marriage of the couple on freeBMD however their 1st of 4 children was born in 1841. Enough of that as I'm still searching.

My concern is with Joseph's mother.

According to my 'connection', Joseph was ilegiltimate and was born around1802 in Potterspury. His death detail gives his age as 71.

It would 'appear' that his mother was Jane Gear and the father was William Druce. It would appear no other children were born to this pair. After her link-up with William, she had a child in 1807 with a George Smith
    Jane's 1st child we can find was born in 1793 and her next in 1796. The father was Charles Gear and this was the name she carried even though a marriage to a Charles Gear has yet to be found.

The final piece is Jane would appear to have been born in c.1760 in Newham, London.

Edit by Geoffers, Moderator - Please see Message No.10 by Colin amending location of Jane's birthplace to Newnham, Northamptonshire

Any help appreciated

pennydog

There is a marriage of Joseph Gear Mar 1841 St. Pancras 1 -205 also on this page is a Sarah May.

FMP has 4 men and 5 women on this page so cannot be sure that Sarah and Joseph are the couple.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There seem to be some vital steps missing above, but perhaps you have not yet told us everything?

Meanwhile ...

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    The final piece is Jane would appear to have been born in c.1760 in Newham, London.
    Newham is a modern London borough. It was invented by merging the county boroughs of West Ham and East Ham in 1965, when Greater London was created.

Can you tell us the source of your information on Jane, please? Any chance it could be a misreading?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    There is a marriage of Joseph Gear Mar 1841 St. Pancras 1 -205 also on this page is a Sarah May.

FMP has 4 men and 5 women on this page so cannot be sure that Sarah and Joseph are the couple.
    Thanks Pennydog.

I maybe should have mentioned this - but didn't think it relevent to the matter that I was trying to resolve. My Joseph Gear married a Sarah Webster. Both were from Pottersbury. Their 1st child, named Eliza, was born in 1841 [4th q.] there and died in 1848 [4th q.] also in Pottersbury

The marriage in St. Pancras appears to have resulted in a birth of an Eliza Gear in 1841 [2nd q.]who died and was buried Aug. 22, 1847.

Also in Paddington, was a birth and baptism of an Eliza Sarah Gear early in 1842 who was the daughter of John and Ann Gear.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    There seem to be some vital steps missing above, but perhaps you have not yet told us everything?

Meanwhile ...

Newham is a modern London borough. It was invented by merging the county boroughs of West Ham and East Ham in 1965, when Greater London was created.

Can you tell us the source of your information on Jane, please? Any chance it could be a misreading?
    Hi Kerrywood
    Thanks for this information on "Newham". My source is probably unreliable as it was obtained by a distant relative and came from an 'unsourced family tree'. 'Nuff said.

What is known as confirmed by the 1851 census record for Pottersbury is the following:
    1] William Gear and his younger brother Charles [who is the Grandfather of the man who married my 2nd cousin] were living their aunt and uncle
    2] The mother [Sarah] was living with her mother at the home of of her sister and brother-in-law. The mother was classified as a Pauper - her name was Elizabeth] and Sarah was a Lace-Maker
    3] The father [Joseph] was living with a family named Woodward and was a lodger.

I have census support for the above as well as decades thereafter.

While I am satisifed that that what has occurred since 1851 is correct, it's the past I am at loggerheads with.

Is there anything else that I can add that may be of use?

Colin

Colin Moretti

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Thanks Pennydog.

My Joseph Gear married a Sarah Webster. Both were from Pottersbury.
    Colin
    They married on 9 May 1833 in Potterspury, see the Potterspury village website

Colin

Colin Moretti

I should have said that Joseph's surname is spelled GEEAR in the transcription.

There are the two following burials listed (1812-1866):
    GEAR Eliza 02/02/1848 6 Yardley Gobion
    GEAR Jane 13/03/1852 86 Potterspury
    There don't seem to be any baptisms there yet.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Moretti View Post
    They married on 9 May 1833 in Potterspury, see the Potterspury village website

Colin
    My God, Colin, thenks. I never would have 'thunk' to look for a web-site of Potterspury. Yo've earned this icon

Now, for those who doubt my 'intellect', this is why I am a member of B-G.

Colin
    Last edited by Colin Rowledge; 10-01-2011 at 7:20 PM. Reason: spelling error

Colin Rowledge

My research in Northamptonshire has concerned a village that doesn't [and probably never has] existed - Yardley Gobson. The correct spelling for which I am indebted to Colin Moretti is Yardley Gobion.

Now that that has been resolved, I looked further at Colin's response in post #7. The death of Eliza in February 1848 that he found is quite probably the Eliza that was born in 1841 but according to freeBMD the death was 4th q. 1848. Could this be an error on the website or is there another Eliza?

The other death he mentioned is for a Jane Gear. She was noted as aged 86 and the death was in 1852. This close, but not exact, to the age of my Jane. Could this be the right one?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post

Meanwhile ...

Once again, I am back to Kerrywood's response.

With Colin Moretti's info. I looked in the 1851 census record for a Jane Gear witha birth in the 1760's Have a guess at what I found?

Jane Gear and her unmarried daughter - both were classed as "Paupers". Nearby and in the same hand were the references to the items I noted in post #5. This, to me, points to the same family.

Jane was indicated as a widow. Her birth-place wasn't Newham as I'd noted but - NewnhamNorthamptonshire. What a difference one letter can make.

Should this thread continue in London forum or the title changed and it moved to Northamptonshire?

Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast