johnmcooper

Smile Music Hall/Theatre artists in Margate 1918

I am having great difficulty tracing anything about my Grandmothers life in Music Hall or the theatre. All I can find is that she was in Margate in 1918 where she married so I suspect she was appearing there at this time. I know not her name if there was a "stage name", only her birth name of Ada Evelyn Malpass.

I would appreciate any help here.

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G Forums

Have you tried 'The Stage'? to see if there is any mention of the surname around this time?
    - archive.thestage.co.uk/

With her age, you may be able to narrow down the search period.

Have you found her in the 1911 census? Was she on the stage then and if so is she shown with a group of actors, musicians, etc?

Do you have a marriage or birth certificate for her? If so, was her dad also in the theatre? (possibly looking for a family act).

Mutley

Welcome to the forum.

Was her father named Clifford, and an advertising agent?

johnmcooper

Yes, her father was Clifford Montrose Malpass but I do not have him as anything to do with the theatre. Maybe, hopefully, you can enlighten me to another part of his life.

Many thanks for the swift reply.

John

Mutley

Not really, I spotted them in the 1911 census and wondered if they were yours. Sadly, Ada does not give any occupation.

I can only give the same advice as Geoffers,
    Try 'The Stage'? to see if there is any mention of the surname around this time?
    - archive.thestage.co.uk/

Also there is a well know auction site on the Internet and it is surprising how often theatre posters appear for sale with all sorts of information on them. Worth keeping a regular check.

johnmcooper

Ah... well!! I looked at The Stage and found Eva Malpass a few times appearing with Norman Crawley in Newport, Mon in June 1920.

Many thanks for your work and information....Greatly appreciated.

John