Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Ok Ted. I can't tell you what's on the 1911 census (copyright). However, you can see a list of names for free (no other details though.)

On findmypast, go to the census and click any 'search by name' link. Then click the 'census reference search' link. Then select 1911 from the drop down box. Enter 6440 for piece number. Enter 24 for the schedule number. You will then see a list.

Also, you said one of Jessie's brother's was called Frederick. So here's a possibility.

Births Jun 1913
    Gibbs Frederick Webb Faringdon 2c 586

Ted Carpenter

Making Headway (I think!!??) Jessie Agnes GIBBS seems to have been the daughter of John Wm GIBBS (either a traveller/Gypsy or maybe part of the fairground fraternity) and Jessie WEBB. They were apparently married in 1900 in Reading. What I'm wondering is, as Faringdon (which seems to be the area where most of this branch of the family comes from) was, at the time, a detached part of Berkshire, would any marriage within that part of Berks be registered in Reading, as the administrative capital of the county? If I'm correct in pursuing these names, my research shows that Jessie WEBB was born in Lechlade, which is now Glouscestershire, but may at the time have been attached to some other county, as it sits on the Oxon/Glos/Wilts border. Both John Wm Gibbs and Jessie Webb are the offspring of "Johns", Webb & Gibbs respectively. Word amongst the family is that the Gibbs' were based in or around Princes Risboro' and there is one burial there that I know about. The person buried there is credited as being a member of a fairground family. Does anyone else have any info on the fairground people from that area? Any help would be appreciated.
    Ted

Ted Carpenter

Hi there!
    Been doing a bit of digging but most of what I've turned up is a bit speculative and will need deeper digging into. Thus far I've looked into Geo. Edward Hicks' father, also called George (born in Nether Westcott, Oxon in 1861, which means that he'll be registered as born in Chipping Norton I presume?) He's buried in Nether Westcott churchyard so I'm going to go and find the headstone (if it still exists0 as it's not too far away from where I live. There are too many possibles for a potential wife though, and no records available to me at this time. The only route i have at the moment is by ellimination but i believe that may be a bit too speculative and there are about five candidates, the most likely ONES being one Mary Ann ACKRILL (married Geo. Hicks in Sep 1898) or Norah STRONG (March 1895). Geographically, I'm left floundering as none of the potential candidates seem to have been local to Nether Westcott.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Carpenter
    Jessie Agnes GIBBS seems to have been the daughter of John Wm GIBBS and Jessie WEBB. They were apparently married in 1900 in Reading. What I'm wondering is, as Faringdon was, at the time, a detached part of Berkshire
    Faringdon was part of Berkshire, it wasn't detached from the rest of that county though.

would any marriage within that part of Berks be registered in Reading, as the administrative capital of the county?
    It would be registered in the district where the event took place.

The GRO index shows a marriage in Sep 1900 in Reading for John William GIBBS with a corresponding entry for Jessie WEBB.

As the marriage took place before 1905 - it would have taken place in either Reading St.Giles, Reading St.Lawrence or Reading St.Mary; the parishes which then made up the district.

If I'm correct in pursuing these names, my research shows that Jessie WEBB was born in Lechlade, which is now Glouscestershire, but may at the time have been attached to some other county
    No, Lechlade is and always has been Gloucestershire

Thus far I've looked into Geo. Edward Hicks' father, also called George (born in Nether Westcott, Oxon in 1861, which means that he'll be registered as born in Chipping Norton I presume?)
    No, Nether Wescote is in Gloucestershire and in 1861 came under Stow-on-the-Wold district - HOWEVER - just half a mile east of the Westcotes is Idbury, which is in Oxfordshire and did come under Chippy.

I would strongly recommend getting the odd certificate to back up what appears in this htread to mostly be an oral history - and as time does play tricks on memory, it is very easy to follow the wrong line.

If you are not sure about using the General Register Office (GRO) index of births; and marriages; and deaths and how to obtain copies of certificates, please ask.

You may also want to look at the 1901 census for 11, Crown Street, Reading - RG13/1148 f57 p1

For Jessie WEBB
    In 1891 try Bury Street, Abingdon - RG12/978 f93 p17
    In 1881 try Ock Street, Abingdon - RG11/1281 f38 p23

Tracing further back is possible, but with great care.

Hi Ted

Do you have any of these people on census records. I have found an entry on the 1901 census for John W Gibbs 28, Scavenger and Jessie Gibbs 21, both born Reading, Berks, living in Reading. Could be a possibility !

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Carpenter View Post
    If I'm correct in pursuing these names, my research shows that Jessie WEBB was born in Lechlade, which is now Glouscestershire
    The Jessie in the 1901/1911 census with John William Gibbs was born in Reading. The family are living in Reading in 1901 and Faringdon in 1911. Thus either this is the wrong Jessie, or her birth place on the census is innacurate, or the information you have on her from family lore is not quite correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Carpenter View Post
    They were apparently married in 1900 in Reading. What I'm wondering is, as Faringdon (which seems to be the area where most of this branch of the family comes from) was, at the time, a detached part of Berkshire, would any marriage within that part of Berks be registered in Reading, as the administrative capital of the county?
    Since the Jessie in the census was apparently born in Reading, perhaps she was brought up in that area and perhaps that's why she married there. This looks like the marriage from family search ...

groom's name: John Wiliam Gibbs
    groom's birth date: 1875
    groom's age: 25
    bride's name: Jessie Webb
    bride's birth date: 1880
    bride's age: 20
    marriage date: 19 Aug 1900
    marriage place: Parish Church, St. Mary's, Co. Reading
    groom's father's name: John Gibbs
    bride's father's name: John Webb

From the above, the marriage took place in the parish church of St Mary in Reading.

Hi again Ted

I have been having a dig in the census records and I have found John William with parents Johathon/John and Harriet.
    1881 he is shown as William b & living Newton Hungerford, Berkshire with parents & siblings Alfred, Agnes, Ernest, Eliza & Rosey.
    1891 the family is at Eddington, Hungerford with 2 new children Jane & Thomas. John William is not with them.

Ted Carpenter

Thumbs up Thanks All;

Many thanks to all for your guidence whilst I'm thrashing about and seemingly getting nowhere. Thanks also for your patience when I get it wrong. This branch of the family is starting to do my head in a bit, so I'm going to leave tham for a while and concentrate on the Cornish side of my lot.
    Thanks again
    Ted (p.s. "give me strength!!")

Just a last few census entries for you. I think George Webb father of Jessie is possibly the fairground connection. He worked as a hawker

1871 Bury Lane, Abingdon George Webb,39 b Abingdon, Berks, Hawker
    Lydia Belcher,29 bHendred ,Berks boarder both unmarried

1881 Abingdon George Webb 49 b Hawker of Eatables
    Elizabeth 30
    Harriet 9
    Georgnia 5
    Jesse 1

1891 Bury St Abingdon
    George Webb 50 Hawker
    Lydia 48
    Harriet 19
    Georgina 15