Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    suzannewalters

Smile Shepleys and Temperleys in Ashton Under Lyne

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place, my English geography isn't that great (go google maps!)
    I'm trying to trace the family of John Enoch Sheply and Anne Temperley. I don't have a marriage but I have see two childrens birth registers, Abel (1834) and William (1837). I believe that had other children, Enoch, Hannah, Sarah and Thomas but I can't find the details of their births.
    John Enoch came to South Australia in 1848 and he has all the chlidren with him but no wife and it says (w) on the shipping list so I'm guessing Anne passed away. Also she doesn't show up on the 1841 census but all the children do.
    Can any help or point me in the right direction to find more info about this family?
    Many thanks!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by suzannewalters
    Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place, my English geography isn't that great
    If stuck with places over here, try using GENUKI

In this case use a search engine to look for 'Genuki Ashton under Lyne' and you'll get taken to this page
    This may help you with other places you are researching over here.

I'm trying to trace the family of John Enoch Sheply and Anne Temperley....I'm guessing Anne passed away. Also she doesn't show up on the 1841 census
    Unfortunately the GRO index shows several possible deaths for Ann(e) SHEPL(E)Y in the period between 1841 and the birth of what was probably their last child (note the 1841 census doesn't record relationships).

The GRO index hasn these deaths:
    Dec 1839 Ann SHEPLEY - Ashton & c - Vol.20 Page 48
    Jun 1840 Ann SHEPLEY - Ashton & c - Vol.20 Page 65
    Mar 1841 Ann SHEPLEY - Ahston & c - Vol.20 Page 61
    Dec 1841 Ann SHEPLEY - Ashton & c - Vol.20 Page 73

(Do double check to make sure these are correctly transcribed).

Have you had any luck with the familysearch web-site?

Any publications by the Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society which may help?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just to kick-start this with some detail, is this the family in 1841?

1841 census (record held by TNA, Crown copyright)
    HO107/109 bk 9 folio 13 page 21
    45 Parliament Street, Dukinfield
    John Shepley 35 Spinner Y
    Enoch Shepley 12 Y
    Sarah Shepley 10 Y
    Hannah Shepley 8 Y
    Abel Shepley 6 Y
    William Shepley 4 Y
    Thomas Shepley 2 Y

Is the mother's name sourced from an Australian marriage/death certificate, or from one of the nonconformist birth records? If necessary, a civil certificate for the birth of William or Thomas SHEPLEY would confirm it. There are possible birth index entries for both in Ashton under Lyne registration district, showing on FreeBMD.

There are also a few possible deaths for Ann SHEPLEY before June 1841, when the census was taken. Maybe someone with access to burial records for the area can help further with that?

Edit - cross-posted with Geoffers.

Famous for offering help & advice

CheshireBMD has the bmds for Dukinfield, and includes ages at death pre 1865

1841, Ann SHEPLEY, age 33, subdistrict Dukinfield, Registers at Tameside, DUK/6/2

Loves to help with queries

You might like to try www.tameside.gov.uk and then to local studies and archives link, it's a pretty comprehensive site. I've looked on the burial records and there's nothing there for Anne I'm afraid so maybe buried in a church. I'm fairly close to Ashton Local Studies library if I can be of help give me a shout!

suzannewalters

ARGH! (I just wrote an epistle and lost it all!!) Here goes again.....

Thankyou everyone for your responses, what a friendly and helpful forum!
    That is the census record I have been going off Kerrywood.
    Ann(e)s name comes from the baptism register for Abel and William, which I found first on www.familysearch.org and then viewed the image on findmypast.co.uk
    It says that mothers name is Anne Timperley and her father Isaac Timperley book keeper. This lead me to find this
    https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Baptisms: 18 Oct 1807 St Leonard, Middleton, Lancashire, England
    Ann Timperley - Daughter of Isaac Timperley & Hannah
    Abode: Middleton
    Source: LDS Film 1545699

If that is all right then the death notice that Mona found could be the one as the age at death adds up with her birth?
    1841, Ann SHEPLEY, age 33, subdistrict Dukinfield, Registers at Tameside, DUK/6/2

What do you think? Is there a way to be sure? I'm still rather new to all this and it sure can be tricky to know if you're on the right track! I sometimes feel like a detective!

Also I have looked at www.familysearch.org for the other childrens births and found Sarah, Anna (Hannah) and Abel and William but no Enoch or Thomas?
    Last edited by Jan1954; 01-01-2011 at 8:23 AM. Reason: Find My Past url edited - subscription site

freebmd shows 2 births for the name Enoch, Sept 1838 & Dec 1839. There is a death Sept 1840 aged 0yrs. For Thomas cheshire bmd shows 1837-1839 ref Duk/3/49 & Freebmd has Sept 1838 & 1839. Do you have any idea of religion? The only baptism records for the time span are for the Catholic church in Dukinfield.

suzannewalters

thanks for having a look loobylou
    Enoch came to South Australia with his father and brothers and sisters in 1848 and I have a death record for him saying his age was 81 in 1909 so that would make his birth about 1828/9.
    I think the religion was Methodist?

Happy New Year There aren't many non-conformist records for Dukinfield so I'll have a look for you, can't do any harm to eliminate! Regards Looby

Sorry to report no sign of Shepleys in non-conformist records in Dukinfield. I looked at them all from 1825-1840.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast