Thread: Sydie

raineshoe

Default Sydie

Does anyone know where the surname Sydie comes from? I know there are a few in Scotland, but ours are in St George in the East in the East of London.

I'm a bit stuck really, as I have a Jane Greenland Sydie marrying in 1870. It looks like she was born in 1850/1851 and there are three Sydies from 1849 to 1852 born in the St George in the East area of London. However, when I search them on the 1851 census cannot find any of this Sydie family at all. I've tried all versions of the surname I can think of, tried different likely members of the household and all sorts to no avail.

Jane married James Stockley and her father is listed as Joseph and a Mariner which could lead to anywhere, but by the births of the children between 1849-1852 all being based the same place I would have thought at least one would appear on the census. I can't find them on 1861 or 1871 as a family or split up either.

Very frustrated. Any ideas would be welcome.

raineshoe

PS - I think Mary one of the children died in 1853 again in St George in the East so I can't work out why they don't appear on the census.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

William Joseph SYDIE died on 12 Nov 1863 in St George in the East workhouse, aged 14 (London parish registers database).

raineshoe

Thank you, another one accounted for, still need their father Joseph where, when how.... knew this board would come up trumps.

As I say thank you so much for the William Joseph bit.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This doesn't help you much, but about 24 pages are missing from St George in the East workhouse in 1861. Maybe the missing family members were all in there for that census? Or the father could have been at sea ...

raineshoe

I know this thread is old now, but I've got a little further with my Sydie's.

I think they do appear on the 1851 census as Stevans. The children are right and fit ages etc and the mothers name seems to have changed to Susan from Susannah. Father also is listed as James not Joseph. However, the occupation fits for him. Also Susannah's maiden name was Stevens so possible. If this is them with a variation in name, I'm not sure why they have done this unless they are hiding from someone or something for some reason maybe????