Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lost uncle

delyn hunt

Default lost uncle

Thanks for that Jenny.
    Williams parents were Henry and Sarah Ann. I will take a look at the web site you mentioned.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Delyn

A fountain of knowledge

Default Lost uncle

[QUOTE=
    Thought I'd go through war records but makes it harder as they so not give a country of origin...
    [/QUOTE]However, the service records catalogue at the National Australian Archives do give a birth place. I'd look it up for you, but the server is playing up tonight.

https://www.naa.gov.au/

Go to Record Search, login as a guest, and put the name in the search engine. You can get all the William John Webbs by just clicking on search, or you can narrow it down to WW1 service records by putting B2455 in the box for record numbers - I can't get to the page to check exactly what it says. But you might be wiser to check all the William John Webbs, as you could find an emigration record.

If you see an interesting service record, you can order a free digital copy if there isn't one there already. The catalogue entry will give you place of birth, place of enlistment, and name of nok, which may be his father seeing he was still alive.

Now, isn't that helpful, considering you were looking for him in the US - but no stone unturned shall be the motto.

Best wishes,

Lenore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12