geneye2

Default Jonathan Bruce/Aberdeenshire or not?

I hope I'm posting this in the right place?

I am researching Jonathan Bruce/Jannet McRoby both born in Scotland around 1786 give or take a few years or so but I can't find birth ref for either. They married at the Parish Kirk Nigg Kincardine in 1812.

Jonathan was said to be born 'Kell Green' on the1851 Sco census index but I havent been able to find it on any map and looking at the actual 1851 census page (then living in the parish of Logie Pert) it looks like 'Kill' or 'Kell' something? but not Green?

I cant find a death ref for this man either but I think he died between 1851 and 1860. His wife Janet died in 1862 Montrose Forfar and she was already widow.

Jan(n)et is another mystery really because her death certificate offers no clue to where she was born or her parents. She died age 77 in 1862 Past census say she was from Nigg Kincardine. If her age is correct 77 that would mean her youngest child was born when she was 49!

They had five children so far I have found. Jonathan was a soldier for the earlier part of his life (Army pensioner on one census) The family spent a few years in Canada, though not for long which again is a mystery 'why a couple and their young family travel all that way to return within a few years ?'

If this was an army posting, was it usual for the family to go along too? They already had 2 children then Margaret and Robert both born in Leith North. 2 daughters were born in Quebec and their last child Mary Ann born back in Scotland.
    I dont know if I am going to get back any further with this maybe i have reached the end of the line but if you do have any thoughts to help me they would be more than welcome.
    carol

Brick wall demolition expert!

On the pay website FindMyPast, > British Army Service Records 1760-1913, there is a service record available for purchase/download for a Jonathan Bruce, b1792 Aberdeenshire.

geneye2

Oh Thank you so much I'll get on to it

Carol

geneye2

Just to update and sending you a Big Thankyou Adele...I found 9 page Royal Artillery Army record on FindMyPast for Jonathan Bruce. His place of birth was Kildrummy and not Kell Green. He was 22 years in the army and served in Canada for 9 yr 3mths and 1 year in the Peninsula? the rest at home. He was pensioned off because of a heart illness and Chronic Catarrh in 1834. It also gives a description of what he looked like. Fair blonde and blue eyed 5ft-7 3/4inc and of good character.:-) My goodness more than I could ever hoped for. Thank again I would never found it without your help

Brick wall demolition expert!

That certainly sounds like your ancestor! I'm happy to have been able to assist.