squirrelnut

Default Smith/Dexter marriage lookup please

Hello everyone,my brother-in-law has asked me to help look for his fathers family(Smith).Now please do not fall about laughing.
    All the information he has is his name John William Smith married Kathleen Lucy Dexter around 1948 give or take .I have looked on freebmd found nothing.(how do you find someone out of 20,00 or more)I was able to get on to A----try and again found nothing.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thankyou Hazel

Lizzy9

Hi,

As I'm not sure whether the people you are enquiring about could still be alive I am not posting details. I suggest you look on Ancestry for a marriage in 1940 Derbyshire.

Hope it helps.

Famous for offering help & advice

Sometimes with Ancestry, less is more - and it always pays to search for the less common name. Searching on just Kathleen Dexter in 1948 +/- 10 years, with no place, brings up 14 results, including Kathleen L Dexter to John W Smith - Dec qtr 1940, Repton Reg. Dist., 7b 1727. Reference to the image from the GRO index confirms that middle names have been reduced to initials, which is why a search which includes a middle name is likely to fail.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that Ancestry has a New Search, which is their default setting, and an Old Search, which many of us find much better. I haven't tried the New Search, but I used the Old Search to produce the results above, with Exact Matches Only ticked. In fact I discovered that if you untick Exact Matches and include the middle name Lucy, you do actually get her at the top of the list. Quite possibly the New Search behaves differently.

Hope this helps,
    Arthur

PS - Lizzy beat me, but Mods feel free to delete details from mine if necessary

squirrelnut

Thankyou, Lizzie and arthurk,failed to mention both parties are deceased hence no personal info.