Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MarkJ

Default Fake Parcel Delivery Service warning

Just a heads up to hopefully avoid members circulating this fake warning which is doing the rounds again.

The basics of the message are -

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655.

Although this was a genuine thing many years ago, it is now no longer true.

See -
    [/FONT]https://www.hoax-slayer.com/pds-phone-scam.html

So please do not forward it all over the internet as this simply clogs up our inboxes.

A quick rule of thumb when receiving any warning - be it viruses or scams - is to stick a bit of the message into a search engine. Pick a suitable part of the message - e.g in this case PDS and put scam or similar after it, then look at the results, pick out sites like Snopes or Hoax-slayer and read what they say. Note that many of these fake scams will claim that Snopes or hoax-slayer (or some other site) state it is genuine and will often have a link - but do your own search and check.

Mark

Nicolina

sorry Mark you've been had, this is 6 years out of date. Check out:
    https://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pds.asp

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Although this was a genuine thing many years ago, it is now no longer true......
    So please do not forward it all over the internet as this simply clogs up our inboxes.
    Mark
    I don't think Mark's been had. He's just warning the rest of us not to pay attention to these warnings.

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    sorry Mark you've been had, this is 6 years out of date. Check out:
    https://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pds.asp
    Nope - I know it is out of date, hence my mention of it "doing the rounds again"

However, it IS being sent around again - I have received it a couple of times in the last week or so and each time I have sent the details about it being an out of date report about what was originally a real scam but one that has been closed down for several years.

I simply posted the warning here to avoid B-G members and their friends/families perpetuating this old warning which seems to reappear each year.

In the grand scheme of things, this is simply an annoyance, isn't it? What really gets in my craw are the missing children hoaxes.

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    I don't think Mark's been had. He's just warning the rest of us not to pay attention to these warnings.
    Not been caught with this one Adele, but I know it is causing a lot of concern for people. On the local BBC radio this last week or so, it has been mentioned several times by callers to the lunchtime phone in who were genuinely concerned that it was real and that people were being charged exhorbitant fees for calls. No call from the UK actually costs that much anyway by the way - max charge is £1.50 per minute, and, on the original version of the scam, you were kept on the phone for 10 minutes or so - which meant a charge of £15. This year, the "warning" claims £315 is the charge!

Although the people who forward these things mean well, it does tend to clog up the inboxes as well as worrying some people.

The bottom line is that this is an old scam which is no longer valid and the phone line mentioned was closed down some years ago.

Mark

Nicolina

sorry Mark I obviously didn't read it properly. Either that or else hubby is right and I do need new spectacles. I'd hate him to be right or I'll never hear the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    I'd hate him to be right or I'll never hear the end of it.
    I think husbands have a choice: Be right or be happy.

MarkJ

No worries - I think it was more likely that I rambled on a bit and didn't make it as clear as I should have done

The main thing is that people don't worry about this particular email. Of course, I dare say some enterprising scumbag will pick up on the idea at some point and run a similar thing sadly.

By the way, this same "warning" is circulating via text message too.

Nicolina

the people responsible for spam and viruses etc. must lead pathetic lives. They ought to get a decent hobby like "digging up dead people".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast