Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Interesting Relationship to Head of House

Just discovered a relationship that I had not seen before in F.H. research when reviewing census records.

1881. Census [and I won't specify details as it is within the realm of 'intrusion of privacy']:
    A chap aged 34 was a railway labouer - a widower - with a 12 year old son and a 7 year old daughter.

Nothing unusual in that, but also living with him was:
    A 'lady' aged 38. She was Unmarried. She is enumerated as Paramour to head of household and her 20 year old som was enumerated as a Lodger.

Is it possinle that the enumerator was 'having a bit of fum' describing a relationship that, today, we would refer to as a 'partner'?

Colin

AnjaliUK

Sounds like it doesn't it! A bit more interesting than wondering whether they'd put 'lodger' or 'visitor' just to keep up appearances!

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AnjaliUK View Post
    Sounds like it doesn't it! A bit more interesting than wondering whether they'd put 'lodger' or 'visitor' just to keep up appearances!
    In addition to the 1st post to this thread, I have 1 instance of a lady being listed as Secretary and numerous ones as Housekeeper.

Makes one think, eh? [And me being of pure mind]

Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    In addition to the 1st post to this thread, I have 1 instance of a lady being listed as Secretary and numerous ones as Housekeeper.

Makes one think, eh? [And me being of pure mind]

Colin
    Or the one with the woman described as servant yet all her children have his surname as part of their surname..

Brick wall demolition expert!

or even better my G Gran had a "border" for 20 yrs and then he was suddenly an uncle in later years when he was living with one of her children....

hepzibah

with 2 children, she deserved a bit more than 'paramour'!!! glamourous as that sounds!

Red Kite

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Is it possinle that the enumerator was 'having a bit of fum' describing a relationship that, today, we would refer to as a 'partner'?
    That's exactly it, and for several reasons a much better word than partner, in my opinion. One of my relatives is described in an 1870s newspaper report as 'paramour', so it was clearly an accepted term. I doubt the enumerator had anything to do with it, he only had to copy what was entered on the schedule. Your folks were just being honest!

I have also seen 'concubine' on the census. Another lovely word, although it sounds a bit like something you might have growing in the garden.

Knowledgeable and helpful

In Scotland we used to call a paramour a "bidey-in."

Knowledgeable and helpful

I had a similar find after her husband John pugh died (or went off I haven't found a death record) Elenaor Pugh (nee Edwards) lived on her own for awhile until the lads had left and then disappears after 1861, again no death record. However I seem to have found her not far from where she was living. She is living with Edward Pugh as a housekeeper and her daughter is described as his "niece". However again despite his name I can find no direct family link, he was certainly not one of her husbands siblings.

Famous for offering help & advice

Must have been early in the relationship, as paramour is certainly much more glamorous than housekeeper, servant, nursemaid or even concubine Makes me vision a lady lazing around all day eating bonbons and waving a lace hanky.

Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast