British Viking

Default Puzzled by death info

During our ardous family hunting activities, amongst other certs we trace, buy and purchase are death certs. OK, having done that, we continue hunting for the burial/cremation info. Depending on the years this can sometimes be found online. Other times it will involve going to various places and poring over the documents.

What I'm puzzled about is, when we're succesful in this regard we can see the burial documents. However the law dictates we're not allowed to see the cremation documents but may, at the discretion of various officials, have them read out to us orally. Now, to my way of thinking, this is plain daft as the dead relatives are, well, very dead indeed so what's the difference? (of course if it's very recent deaths then that can be understood due to identity theft issues) but this?

Anybody know why there's this strange anomality?

Tolly

Not a clue ... didnt even know that was true, but hazzarding a wild guess which Im sure an expert will correct.... maybe it's something to do with established church, leading to official records etc whereas cremations were non-conformist at one time?

Paul

jannic

I have been to a large crematorium in London and looked at their registers which are in most respects no different to a burial register. I think with the papers you're talking about this may have something to do with the actual process of cremation. Temperature, time, grinding etc. Maybe it's felt the info would be distressing.

I too am sure that someone on here will enlighten us

Jan

jeeb

Hi British Viking,

Personally I have never encountered a problem with seeing cremation details. However the law was changed quite recently, 2008 I think. which states a cremation authority may make available cremation details and documents to any person.

Jeremy

British Viking

Thank you everybody for your interesting replies.

Have a look at: exploregenealogy.co.uk/CremationRecords.html (put www in front) and about 1/3rd of way down you'll see "oral reading out" under the heading "Cremation Records and Burial Register". But as somebody kindly mentioned here that could be irrelevant now due to the recent change in the law.