British Viking

Default Were they buried or cremated?

I have the death certs of my great grandfather and his brother. Both born in Denmark so would have been Lutheran to begin with and, I presume, would have had the "normal" C of E services when they eventually went in the UK.

The details I have are:

Christian Møller (my great-grandfather) died aged 57 in Islington, London in 1913

and his brother (my Great Grand Uncle)

Axel Høther Møller died aged 58 in Peckham, London in 1915

(all documents in the UK have replaced the "ø" with just a plain "o")

I think in those years then burials were more common than cremations with cremations being a rather new idea and not allowed for Catholics?

So, with that presumption can anybody here please advise me where I might find their burial (or even cremation) records?

Thanks

British Viking

Forgot to add I'm already a fully paid up member of Genes Reunited and Ancestry.co.uk so I'm not asking for look ups...just guidance, thanks!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Google being my friend, it would seem that there are several Lutheran Churches in London (even a Chinese one!), so it might be worth enquiring to see which, if any, have Danish connections and, if so, about funeral services/burials for the relevant years.
    Other than that you've got a bit of a problem trying to find in which cemetery they might have been buried, though I'm sure I've read on the forum that if you lived in a certain borough then the chances were that you were buried in a particular cemetery.

Looking through some of my bookmarked websites, I notice that Numhead cemetery is not a thousand miles from Peckham. There's a 'Friends of Numhead Cemetery' site. fonc.org.uk/ preceded by https://www.
    Pam

British Viking

Thanks Pam. I'll look that up later...time to wrap myself round my hot water bottle in bed now methinks

By the way when you say "Numhead" I presume you meant "Nunhead"?.....but I do like that term should I want to annoy anybody!

<chortles>

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by British Viking View Post
    Christian Møller (my great-grandfather) died aged 57 in Islington, London in 1913
    Axel Høther Møller died aged 58 in Peckham, London in 1915
    First port of call should be the council Cemeteries Department for each borough.

Peckham comes under Southwark, and likely cemeteries at that date would be Nunhead (as Pam has said) and Camberwell Old Cemetery. Records for both are held at Camberwell New Cemetery in Brenchley Gardens.

Islington Cemetery is not in Islington but in the High Road in East Finchley, on a shared site with St Pancras Cemetery. Google for it.

Both cemeteries make a hefty charge for lookups, but if you go in person you can search the registers for free.

Of course there are plenty of other possible burial places, but these would be obvious starting-points.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by British Viking View Post
    Thanks Pam.
    By the way when you say "Numhead" I presume you meant "Nunhead"?.....but I do like that term should I want to annoy anybody! <chortles>
    Oh bother! I corrected one typo but obviously never bothered to check the last two lines of my post. Spooky how I misspelt it both times though.
    Pam

British Viking

Thank you both for your very helpful tips.

Sounds like I'm gonna be busy......

BV