Nola

Unhappy Richard Holyoake born 1808. Need Help!

Hi all, Wondered if any of you could help me out here. Family stories say Richard,s father fell to his death while working at his trade on a church steeple.The widowed mother went to keep house for her brother the children being cared for by relatives. Richard (1808) ran away to sea and later came to NZ. i have all from then on but cant find anything abt church Steeple deaths or anything else abt his parents. This would of been between 1808 and prob 1833. The Holyoake were my ancestors. There was also talk abt being related to george jacob Holyoake but cant find any proof af that either. thanks for your time.. Nola (Holyoake)

Thomasin

Sometimes these family stories have a grain of truth, but no more. Where is this supposed to have happened - what county? Do you have any more names that we can go on?

PS Was the father a steeplejack, a stonemason or something else?
    Last edited by Thomasin; 24-10-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: PS

Mutley

The Holyoake name seems to be spread all around the UK and I can see the name going back to the 1600s, there are even more than one George Jacobs
    so as Thomasin asks,
    WHERE?

Howabout Maltus Questell Holyoake for a name, how wonderful, is he one of yours?

Thomasin

There are very few Richard Holyoakes on the FamilySearch pilot. One was born 1808, but died in England in 1862. The most likely one was born in 1810 in Leicester, parents Thomas and Mary. Looking at the 1841 census for a widowed Mary of a suitable age in Leicestershire, there is only one that qualifies:

John KENNEY 45 (could this be the brother?)
    Mary HOLYOAK 65 widow
    both b. Leicestershire

Address: Village of Sharnford
    HO107; 603; 4/9; 13

Nola

Thankyou.for taking the time to reply. my story begins with Richard holyoake born 2nd June 1808 at Walmouth near the Elephant and castle, london so I presume his father was working near there doesnt say much abt Richard father except he was refered to as richard the 1st.. Richard was put into care of his aunt but ran away to sea at 10 so his father would of been dead by 1818. He eventually returned to England couldn,t find his brothers and sisters learnt of his mother death(no names) Richard (1808) marr and went into the grocery business. His wife did soon after He then marr Eliza Kimble in 1841 at St George Church Camberwell. They emigrated to NZ in 1842.Where they eventually died.. One of my cousins seem to think he was in some way related to The george Jacob Holyoake who was the well known agitator and jailed as a blaspheming atheist!

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Nola..

On Ancestry in the London Baptisms, Marriages and Burials's there's a burial for a Richard Holyoak, age 47, on Mar. 25 1811, but it says the cause is consumption..nothing about a fall.

Sue

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Thankyou.for taking the time to reply. my story begins with Richard holyoake born 2nd June 1808 at Walmouth near the Elephant and castle, london so I presume his father was working near there doesnt say much abt Richard father except he was refered to as richard the 1st.. Richard was put into care of his aunt but ran away to sea at 10 so his father would of been dead by 1818. He eventually returned to England couldn,t find his brothers and sisters learnt of his mother death(no names) Richard (1808) marr and went into the grocery business. His wife did soon after He then marr Eliza Kimble in 1841 at St George Church Camberwell. They emigrated to NZ in 1842.Where they eventually died.. One of my cousins seem to think he was in some way related to The george Jacob Holyoake who was the well known agitator and jailed as a blaspheming atheist!
    Do you mean Weymouth???

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    Do you mean Weymouth???
    Near the Elephant and Castle would mean it was probably Walworth.

Nola

Default richard Holyoake

Thankyou for the two posts. The Richard that died in 1811 could well be my ancestor, Something for me to look into!.Also yes, a relation in England corrected the spelling and it is Walworth!