Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Default TYLER/McGREGOR/HART

Henry James TYLER (b.1862, Milton, Kent) and Margaret McGREGOR (b.1861, Kildare, Ireland) were married in the June Q 1890 in Milton Kent (awaiting copy of marriage certificate).

By 1901 Margaret was a widow with 3 sons, Reuben, Douglas Henry and Gordon Herbert - all born Milton, Kent. Henry had died (FreeBMD June Q, 1899, Milton).

Margaret and the two youngest boys are together at 4 Rock Road, Sittingbourne, Kent (RG13/811/110/11).

Reuben TYLER (eldest son) is at 73 Trilby Road, Lewisham (RG13/560/149/50), in the household of Alfred and Sophia HART - listed as a nephew. In the same household is a Charlotte McGREGOR (b.1869, Ireland) and listed as sister-in-law. Sophia HART is listed as being born in Ireland.

I feel sure there must be a connection between Margaret and Charlotte McGREGOR and Sophia HART, but I'm blowed if I can find it. The only possible marriage I have been able to find of an Alfred HART and a Sophia is March Q 1883, West Ham - Sophia Ann L GREEN and Alfred HART on the same page on FreeBMD.

Anyone got any ideas?

Brick wall demolition expert!

You will find Alfred Hart's military records of interest on findmypast.

Alfred Hart born 1853 Hoxton. Attested 10 October 1872.

Last page mentions his wife Sophia MacGregor. Also gives date and place of marriage in Ireland. One witness names is interesting. Some children are listed also.

Charlotte MacGregor is possibly here in 1911.

RG14PN121 RG78PN4 RD2 SD1 ED34 SN159

She gives a slightly more specific birth place in Ireland.

In 1891 the Hart family are in West Derby. Alfred was born Hoxton, Middlesex. Sophia just states Ireland. Alfred is a military staff clerk.
    Listed are Alfred 38, Sophia 31, Herbert H 6, Sidney A 4, Mabel 3.

1891 census: RG12 /2979/136 /44 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Alfred Hart in 1881 (before his marriage) is at South Camp Aldershot, Farnham.
    He is age 29. Occupation is Sergt M M Police. (This ties in with his military record.)

1881 census: RG11/784/71/12 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Marriage for Sophia and Alfred in Kildare, Ireland?

Sophia Macgregor
    Registration District: Naas
    Jul - Sep 1883
    Volume Number: 2
    Page Number: 716

Alfred Hart
    Registration District: Naas
    Jul - Sep 1883
    Volume Number: 2
    Page Number: 716

Thanks olliecat - that's great. I knew that someone on this wonderful forum would be able to help.

I did have Alfred and Sophia in 1891; Charlotte in 1911, and thought it was probably Alfred in 1881 at South Camp Aldershot, but it's good to hear someone else confirm my thoughts.

I didn't think of looking on FMP for military records as I've had no luck before on there with any I've looked for.

Where did you find the reference for Alfred and Sophia's marriage please?

I have to say that I haven't had to look into Irish records before and so am a total novice in that area. All this is for my 90 year old uncle, who wants me to do a family tree as a surprise for the family of his wife who died a couple of months ago, so don't want to spend too much money as they're not my ancestors (hope that doesn't sound mean).

Alfred states on his service record that they were married on 1st Aug 1883 at Newbridge Co Kildare, so ...
    Looked for the marriage on family search pilot. You have to search separately for bride and groom and make sure vol/page etc match.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Alfred states on his service record that they were married on 1st Aug 1883 at Newbridge Co Kildare, so ...
    Looked for the marriage on family search pilot. You have to search separately for bride and groom and make sure vol/page etc match.
    Thanks olliecat. I had looked there, but couldn't find anything - will have to go back to Specsavers

I've now found the marriage on the RootsIreland site and paid 5 euros to view and download the details, so now have both Alfred and Sophia's fathers' names and occupations, places of residence for Alfred and Sophia and confirmation that Alfred was a Military Clerk.