Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    andmar

Default Ayres - Loveridge

AYRES - LOVERIDGE.
    Hi all, I am trying to find information about my great grandparents William Ayres 1855-1901 and Emily Loveridge c1859-1928
    I have their wedding cert. dated 1888 and it states that William's father was James Ayres but I have no further details about James.
    Emily's father was Cornelius Loveridge a tinman but no further details.
    At the time of their marriage they were living at Charlbury, Oxfordshire.
    I would be really grateful for any further information especialy about the birth of Emily Loveridge.

Thanks, Andy.

Lizzy9

Hi Andy,

1871, Banbury St Mary, Oxfordshire. All born Towcester, Northant's except Caroline Beedon Northant's. RG10/1466; Folio/78/ 36. (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Cornelius Loveridge 25 Tinman
    Caroline Loveridge 26
    Isabel Loveridge 8
    Emily Loveridge 6
    Edith Loveridge 4
    Louisa Loveridge 2

Lizzy9

Emily Loveridge baptised 7/5/1865, at Towcester, parents: Cornelius and Caroline.

Lizzy9

This is a possible birth ref from the GRO index for Emily.

Emily Loveridge, Jan-Mar qrt 1865, vol 3b page 20, at Towcester Northant's

Where did you get the approx birth year of 1859?

Do you have names and approx birth years of William and Emily's children?

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by andmar View Post
    AYRES - LOVERIDGE.
    I have their wedding cert. dated 1888 and it states that William's father was James Ayres but I have no further details about James.
    What does the marriage cert give for William's occupation, is there no occupation entered for James Ayres? Do you have a plce of birth for William? Any census ref's?

Lizzy9

Yes, Graham, I agree. I've searched for Loveridge's before for another member and they led me a merry dance! Romanies, with their transient life styles can be difficult to pin down and often give a different place of birth on each census. They are fun though to research, frustrating at times but certainly a challenge!

Andy, do you know whether William was of Romany descent?

andmar

Hi Lizzy & Graham, thanks for your replys.

I am new to family research and did not want to confuse things with too much information but here goes.
    Marriage Cert. 12 Dec 1888 Parish church Charlbury. details....
    William Ayres 31 Chimney Sweep residing at Church Lane, Charlbury.Father-James Ayres(deceased) Truck maker??
    Emily Loveridge 29 residing at Church Lane, Charlbury. Father- Cornelius Loveridge-Tinman
    Williams middle name was Knight and commited sucide 1901 at Thame.

They had at least five children....William 1878-1959, James 1880, Horace 1884, Henry 1889, Mary 1896. From 1881 & 1901 census.
    To confuse things Emily was called Emma in 1881 Census.

Andy.
    "Emily Loveridge baptised 7/5/1865, at Towcester, parents: Cornelius and Caroline."
    I was hoping this was my Emily but it would have meant birthing William at age 13. Possible ??

Emilys birth calculated from Marrige Cert. William born at Headington. Jan qtr BMD

And yes William was of Romany/Gypsy descent.

janbooth

From Oxfordshire FHS Parish Register transcripts of Charlbury:

12 December 1888 at Charlbury William AYRES, 31, bachelor, Chimney Sweep, Church Lane Charlbury, father James AYRES (deceased), ?Trunk Maker & Emily LOVERIDGE, 29, spinster, Church Lane Charlbury, father Cornelius LOVERIDGE, Tinman. Witnesses: Thomas JONES, Fanny JONES & Mary M WEST.

Neither William nor Emily were baptised in Charlbury.

I've missed our LOVERIDGE challenge, so here we go with another one. Will look for more records and get back to you.

Janet

janbooth

Default AYRES/LOVERIDGE

Andy,

Emily may have been several years old when she was baptised so don't discount the baptism Lizzy found for you. Also, don't necessarily take the ages quoted by Romanies, or their places of birth for that matter, as correct. When Lizzy and I were searching on the other LOVERIDGE thread, we found all sorts of anomalies in ages and places of birth from census record to census record - that is when they were ven on census records!! However, I think from the census records we have found for Emily, she was perhaps fibbing a little about her age on her marriage record!!

This could be the marriage of Emily's parents on the GRO:

December qtr 1861 at Pottserspury reg district, vol 3b, page 78 Cornelius LOVERIDGE and one of the other names on the page is that of a Carolina BOSWELL - doesn't the surname BOSWELL ring a bell, Lizzy!!

The 1881 census of Cornelius and Caroline shows them in Wellingborough, Northants living at 3 In Court 4, Jacksons Lane with children Edith, Louisa, Alice, John, Cornelius & Thomas aged 2 mths. 1901 census shows them back in Neithrop, Banbury as follows:

RG13/1406, folio 83, page 11
    19 Foundry Street

Cornelius LOVERIDGE Head M 60 General Hawker & Dealer Northampton Towcester
    Caroline do Wife M 59 do Weedon
    Elizabeth do Daur S 15 Oxfordshire Banbury
    Matilda do Daur S 13 do do

Janet

janbooth

More background information:

From Oxfordshire FHS PR Transcripts of Banbury:

6 September 1884 Thomas CARTER, 19, bachelor, Hawker, Neithrop, son of Thomas, Hawker & Lily LOVERIDGE, 18, spinster, Neithrop, daughter of Cornelius, Hawker. Witnesses: Charles COOPER & Rebecca COOPER.

12 April 1910 Samuel LOVERIDGE, 27, bachelor, Labourer, 14 Foundry Square, Banbury, son of Cornelius, Tinsmith & Ellen PITCHER, 21, spinster, 14 Foundry Square, Banbury, daughter of Joseph, Labourer. Witnesses: Walter BOSCOTT & Lydia GIBBARD.

Janet

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast