Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a brief biography of Bertram John Coombs in this digitized Raymond, Alberta local history book, available at ourroots.ca. He appears on page 387:

https://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=...5-b4f2aa52d653

pottoka

Thumbs up

Adele, the two sites which you have found me are really interesting, with a photo of Bert and his wife, and a record that they had two more children once they reached Canada (although the year doesn't tie in with the sailing record which I have! only a year out, though). Thank you so much.

So I started out thinking I had someone in the Salvation Army, found out that he wasn't, but he turned out to have been a convert after all, to the Mormons, which possibly explains the questioning letters to my grandmother with family trees in them.

I wonder if it was him who started the myth that my great-great-great-grandfather was born somewhere where he wasn't, and where no-one of that name was; I've checked and re-checked because there are so many trees on A* with the information on them and I'm scared of missing that one baptism, but I'm pretty sure I haven't. But Bert was doing his genealogy back in the good old days before computers, and I don't think he ever came back to the home country to look at the PRs.

The old man is in the IGI, member-submitted, and yet two cousins of the same name, born a year apart, aren't on it, although the village where they were born has been "extracted" by the Mormons, and, as far as I'm concerned, the younger of the two was our mutual ancestor. Strange!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12