Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SueNSW

A Google search for his wife's father that Thomasin found brings up quite a lot of information - including a Fortescue family website - https://www.fortescue.org/alphabetical/b25.html#P594 that has

Capt Edward Francis Knottesford FORTESCUE of Alveston Manor was born on 26 February 1840 in Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire. He was baptized on 22 April 1840 in Billesley, Warwickshire.

He appeared in the census in 1881 in Mana House, Alveston, Warwickshire.
    Edward F H Fortescue Head Male 41 Alveston Warwick Captain in Army om Half Pay
    Alicia M Fortescue Wife Female 42 Winterbourne Dorset
    Frances G Fortescue Daughter 9 Lausaune Switzerland
    Maria J Fortescue Daughter 7 Oxford
    John N Fortescue Son 6 Hampstead Middlesex
    Faithful E Fortescue Son 3 Hampstead, Middlesex

Bengal (India) cadet 1857. Hon Major of the 1st Warwick Militia

Parents: Edward Bowles Knottesford FORTESCUE of Alveston-and Frances Anne SPOONER-

Spouse: Alicia Margaretta TYRWHYTT-.

Alicia Margaretta TYRWHYTT and Capt Edward Francis Knottesford FORTESCUE of Alveston Manor were married about 1870. Children were: Frances Gabriella FORTESCUE-, Maria Johanna Baptista FORTESCUE-, John Nicholas FORTESCUE-, Faithful Edward FORTESCUE-.

Cheers
    Sue

SueNSW

Last thing - must get on with some work - Bertie obviously looked after his money a little better than his father in law - from:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...r574&cid=-1#-1

[no title] DR574/807 1883-88

Contents:
    Papers concerning the bankruptcy of Edward Francis Knottesford Fortescue (died 1886)

Cheers
    Sue

sunnycrest

Thank you for all your time in doing those lookups for me Sue! (much better than work).
    Debby

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

Sorry if I am off topic slightly but passenger lists are not infallible. My ancestor emigrated but made a short trip back before going back out to the States again. I think the incoming lists for 1889 and 1890 to the UK do not survive. He is back in the USA in 1900 for the census so he must have gone back years before that anyway. I cannot find his outgoing passenger list for his trip back to the UK yet can find the embarkation in Pennsylvania for when he first went to America in 1886. He sailed from Liverpool.

Ben

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123