frank2910

Default Lost son of GGG Grandfather

Hi there. I have a brick wall that has been standing for 5+ years which I cannot break down. I cannot find what happened to the son of My GGG Grandfather. The info that I have about the family is very good, most of it from Family records and Papers so I have put as much info as I can below, sorry it is so long but if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

My GGG Grandfather John Michael Smith was from Prussia and was a sergeant in the British army at Fort Cumberland, Eastney Portsmouth and after retiring from the Army moved to Carisbrooke I.O.W. He was born in Prussia in 1764 and Married In the I.O.W To Phoebe Spanner in the IOW. There were 4 Children to the Marriage all born in the I.O.W. they later all moved to St Helier, Jersey in the Channel Islands. John Michael died in 1844.

Children :

Charlotte : Born 1819 I.O.W. and Died 1879 in the I.O.W Married 1852 to John Rogers St Hellier, Jersey CI

George : Born 15th July 1821 I.O.W

Joseph ( GG Grandfather) B 1825 I.O.W. Died 1870 He was Drowned while travelling back to Jersey from
    Haslar Hospital when the Normandie sank after a collision in the Channel ( The memorial is at Jersey) Joseph Married in 1851 To Frances Machon in Jersey CI

Esther : Born 1827 I.O.W Died 1908 in Australia. Married John Nobbs 1853 in Jersey CI

My Brickwall is that I cannot find any records regarding George, it is possible that George died at an early age but cannot locate any Death records, there is no mention as to what happened to him in the family papers etc, If anyone can throw any light on this it would be much appreciated.

Frank

Brick wall demolition expert!

What evidence do you have for the birth of George.

The IGI have a George born 1821 Carisbrooke to a Michael and Phebe however it is a member submitted entry.
    If this is all you have then it might just be you cannot find him because he did not exist.

Reputation beyond repute

George : Born 15th July 1821 I.O.W
    Have you tried searching the Carisbrooke parish registers to (a) confirm the unreliable IGI patron submission and (b) search for a death?

frank2910

Raffaele, Peter Goodey,

Thank you both for your replies. The Evidence I have for George is through the mention of him in the family Bible and other Correspondence in the early 1820,s. There is a lot of Documentary evidence that relate to the Family in the way of Correspondence and Diaries etc.This verifys the existence of George. There are Some George smiths in the 1841 Census for Jersey, one where the age is correct but no evidence he was part of our family. We have a large collection of items relating to the family History as A&E Smith soft drinks and Bottling plant was part of the Family as were Smiths Jersey Ice cream. George was certainly the son of John Michael Smith although true to Prussian custom the eldest son was named after the father but used the second name if father was alive and also Phoebe is spelt wrong in the IGI Index, anyway thanks for your response, it looks like the hunt will continue.

Brick wall demolition expert!

You probably need to check the parish registers to get any further.
    Looking at the Hugh Wallis site it seems the IGI only has marriage records for Carisbrooke and there not a George Smith marriage.

https://www.iwight.com/library/record...s/parishre.asp

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello

Have you looked at the LondonGazette, for notices of naturalisation or commentary on the 2 businesses

geneius

Reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your replies.
    You're welcome but you haven't made any comment on my suggestion to search the parish registers. I would suggest that this is not a wild eyed notion but an important genealogical step. If you are uncertain how to get hold of parish registers, please shout and someone will help.

frank2910

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You're welcome but you haven't made any comment on my suggestion to search the parish registers.
    Hi Peter. Appologies I will certainly check the Parish records, both in the I.O.W and also Jersey. Thanks for your help.
    Frank