Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charles Broad

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    Looking at Cheshire Parish Register project database I cannot seem to work out the date for the entries?
    'Tis easy once you read their instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    Interesting the marriage to Marg Bedson, using my trusty UK distance calculator a distance between Betley and Wybunbury of about 4 miles- would that be correct- Charles could have walked that far! None of the daughters called Marg though or could it be short for Margaret? Why couldnt the records just show a mothers name would make life so much easier !!!!
    I didn't work out the exact distance, but I know it's not far, only a few miles.
    I would have thought 'Marg' was short for Margaret. But....it could be a very badly written, and therefore incorrectly transcribed, Mary. You'd have to see the original PR entry for that. Do you have a 'local' LDS FHC for ordering in PR films to view?
    I think it was the Wybunbury IGI entries I was looking at the other day and there were no mother's names in any baptisms till about 1803. Obviously had a set of traditionalist vicars there - 'If a father's name only was good enough in 1066, then it's good enough now'.
    Pam

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    'Tis easy once you read their instructions.

I didn't work out the exact distance, but I know it's not far, only a few miles.
    I would have thought 'Marg' was short for Margaret. But....it could be a very badly written, and therefore incorrectly transcribed, Mary. You'd have to see the original PR entry for that. Do you have a 'local' LDS FHC for ordering in PR films to view?
    I think it was the Wybunbury IGI entries I was looking at the other day and there were no mother's names in any baptisms till about 1803. Obviously had a set of traditionalist vicars there - 'If a father's name only was good enough in 1066, then it's good enough now'.
    Pam
    Hi pam, well mary would make sense also as the first daughter was Mary, pity my GGGran was the last child in 1801 a later baptism may have yeilded a mum! No I don't have a local FHC for ordering films, most of my research over there has to be done by obtaining a researcher, expensive but if I need the info its the way I have to go, pity my cousins over there don't share my interest or enthusiasm for family history, they live close enough to check a lot of this for me but they are all "gunnas"
    Thanks again...Val

Tried to think outside the box and check backwards, found a death for a Frances Broad wife of a Charles Broad buried Christ Church Macclesfield 22 march 1801, my GGGran was baptised 8th March 1801 Wybunbury. Could it be a connection?? Only thing is I wold have thought a burial would have been at Wybunbury also.

This could be another Charles Broad as I found a baptism for Macclesfield for a Martha Broad 1774 parents Charles and frances Broad. Jonathon 1770 Man Cathedral same parents names

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Valg

Stick with Wybunbury area, Macclesfield is about 20 miles north of Walgherton, I think I have picked up that your ancestor may have been a blacksmith!

I note that you use a trusty distance calulator for checking mileage from towns / villages etc. what about maps.google.co.uk and if you are lucky the little man will show you what the area looks like!

Wybunbury was the main church for the area see ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/wybunbury.html ( prefix www.)

geneius

geneius

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Hi Valg

Stick with Wybunbury area, Macclesfield is about 20 miles north of Walgherton, I think I have picked up that your ancestor may have been a blacksmith!

I note that you use a trusty distance calulator for checking mileage from towns / villages etc. what about maps.google.co.uk and if you are lucky the little man will show you what the area looks like!

Wybunbury was the main church for the area see ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/wybunbury.html ( prefix www.)

geneius

geneius
    Thanks genius good advice- I have absolutely zero knowledge of distances and places in the UK ( very sad for a girl born in manchester eh) but ask me distances in OZ and I can help! As all the children appear to have been born at Wybunbury it makes sense to look there.Blacksmith would not surprise me. Blacksmiths-engineers and mechanics seem to run through the family.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

And yes, you wouldn't recognise Manchester NOW even I struggle at times!, my home area for past 40 years!

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    And yes, you wouldn't recognise Manchester NOW even I struggle at times!, my home area for past 40 years!
    Was in Manchester about 5yrs ago, first time back and as I left when I was 4 had no memories at all, only wish I had got into this ancestory back then so I could have used time constructively !!

Looking for a father for Charles, there appears to be a choice of 2 on FS
    Charles -father Joseph-baptised Sandbach 1753
    Charles father Richard-Macclesfield 1749,
    I am thinking the Macclesfield Charles is the one married to the Frances I mentioned above, think the sandbach one is more likely to be mine? There are only the 2 for Cheshire in that period and Charles named 2 sons Joseph but no sons were named Richard, do you think I am on the right track genius?

If I am on the right track I have a marriage for Joseph and lots of siblings for Charles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast