frank2910

Default Any help appreciated

I have traced many of my ancestor,s Naval and Marine service with great success but have come across a weird problem with my Fathers Naval career. My Father was one of 5 children who was sent to Greenwich Naval school in 1923 when his father died. My Father was 8/9 years old at the time and remained at Greenwich until 1930 when at the age of 15 yrs and 5 months of age went into the Royal Navy, at HMS St Vincent at Gosport. I have his original Naval Record and have traced all his Ships and Shore Base Service up until he passed away at the age of 38 in 1953. the problem I have is as Follows.

On the 8th August 1945 dad was posted to Ardpatrick in Argyll, Scotland he was only there for a short time, returning to HMS Victory on the 24th August 1945, My problem is finding why he was sent to Ardpatrick, there is no Naval Base there, I have spoken to the Royal Navy Museum archivist in Portsmouth and also the Council at Ardpatrick, and no one can explain why he went there. the only explanation I can see is that after the war, with the amount of vessels returning from WW2 that Ardpatrick may have been an overflow mooring for Faslane, If anyone can throw any light on Ardpatrick in 1945 it would be most welcome

Frank

Bertie

Hi Frank - what does his service record say for the Ardpatrick posting?

frank2910

His service record does not give a reason as to why he was in Ardpatrick, Prior to going to Ardpatrick he was based At the shore Base " Golden Hind " in Australia he returned to the UK aboard HMS Lamont on the 7th Aug Posted to Ardpatrick on the 8th Aug and returning to HMS Victory Shore Base at Portsmouth on the 24th of August and being released from the Royal Navy in Dec 1945. His Rank and Position on release was as a Stores PO.

Frank

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by frank2910
    On the 8th August 1945 dad was posted to Ardpatrick in Argyll, Scotland
    Lamont was a 'Landing Ship Infantry' (Large); its logs are held at The National Archives at Kew (commencing Dec 1944 inADM53/119678).

It was used as an accomodation ship, moored off Ardpatrick from 8th August 1945, see: -

(Put https:// in front of the following)

books.google.co.uk/books?id=lhac0fSx-rsC&pg=PA519&lpg=PA519&dq=lsi(l)+lamont&source=bl& ots=M-dMkohTT7&sig=OCnCvm9RN0ugRJC17zfOYngnVLk&hl=en&ei= KqKKTLGrCdC6jAfvraiQBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=resu lt&resnum=2&ved=0CBgQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=lsi(l)%20l amont&f=false

DorothySandra

Default addition

This is from memory: some merchant ships that were RN for the duration of the war were demobbed (I know that's not the right expression but you know what I mean) at Ardpartrick. If he was involved with stores, he may have gone there to check that RN property was recovered. I suppose you didnt misread Ardpatrick for HMS Ard Patrick?
    [My father was at the RHS, too, but a little later than yours - and was at HMS St Vincent at the age of 15]]
    Last edited by DorothySandra; 10-09-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: adding a question

frank2910

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Lamont was a 'Landing Ship Infantry' (Large); its logs are held at The National Archives at Kew (commencing Dec 1944 inADM53/119678).

It was used as an accomodation ship, moored off Ardpatrick from 8th August 1945, see: -

(Put https:// in front of the following)

books.google.co.uk/books?id=lhac0fSx-rsC&pg=PA519&lpg=PA519&dq=lsi(l)+lamont&source=bl& ots=M-dMkohTT7&sig=OCnCvm9RN0ugRJC17zfOYngnVLk&hl=en&ei= KqKKTLGrCdC6jAfvraiQBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=resu lt&resnum=2&ved=0CBgQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=lsi(l)%20l amont&f=false
    Many thanks for your help with this problem of Mine, it certainly seems to be the answer to the question

frank2910

Quote Originally Posted by DorothySandra View Post
    This is from memory: some merchant ships that were RN for the duration of the war were demobbed (I know that's not the right expression but you know what I mean) at Ardpartrick. If he was involved with stores, he may have gone there to check that RN property was recovered. I suppose you didnt misread Ardpatrick for HMS Ard Patrick?
    [My father was at the RHS, too, but a little later than yours - and was at HMS St Vincent at the age of 15]]
    Many thanks for your help with this Question. Dad went into the Navy from Greenwich as a Signalman but transferred to stores when he went Colour blind in 1942. He left the Navy in 1945 but could not settle in civy street and re-enlisted in 1950. unfortuantly he passed away in 1953 when I was 10. Researching family History I have learnt so much about Dad that I never Knew, even to the fact that in 1932 he was the atlantic fleet boys lightweight boxing Champion