jdavey

Default Birth & Baptism certificates

I have been ubale to locate a birth registration for my gggrandfather after much relentless searching.

However, I do know the date he was baptised being 9 Dec 1838 in Leintwardine, Herefordshire, England.

His name is William Holloway and his parents were a William & Ann Holloway, she also went by the name of Mary just to confuse the issue.

Question: Would the GRO be able to produce a baptism certificate ? How can I locate a further paper trail without knowing his actual birthdate. Bearing in mind I am in Australia and so going to the Parish is not a possibility!

Cheers

Jayne

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Jayne, the nearest birth I can find is in Dec.1/4 of 1838 Worcester. vol. 18..page 468 . Haven't linked him yet with a William in 1841 census. There is a William with wife Sarah.

A William Hawlway (with an accent?) 30 Wife Ann 25, Jane 4 & son William 2 b Leintwardine are here.
    HO107; Piece 428; Book: 18; Civil Parish: Leintwardine; County: Herefordshire; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 5; Page: 5;
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

jdavey

Hi Waitabit,

I believe the William Hawlway is my William Holloway. In the 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 & 1891 census they all say he was born in Adforton, Herefordshire. The baptism took place in Leintwardine. From google maps Worcester does not to far away, I will look into the Dec 1/4 1838 birth. Many thanks Jayne

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by jdavey
    I have been ubale to locate a birth registration for my gggrandfather after much relentless searching. However, I do know the date he was baptised being 9 Dec 1838 in Leintwardine, Herefordshire, England.
    In early years of civil registration some births were not registered.

Question: Would the GRO be able to produce a baptism certificate ?
    No. The GRO is just concerned with civil registration of births, marriages and deaths.

How can I locate a further paper trail without knowing his actual birthdate. Bearing in mind I am in Australia and so going to the Parish is not a possibility!
    Many parish registers have been copied onto microfilm. The filmed copies of registers can be hired for use in mormon church (LDS) record centres which are worldwide. It may be that there is such a centre within travelling distance which you could use?

Other than that, try the local county record office to see if they can provide a facsimile copy of the register entry or a copy of the register on fiches.

Reputation beyond repute

Adforton was part of a township within the parish of Leintwardine. To confuse the issue, Adforton was in the Knighton Registration District; much of Leintwardine parish was in the Ludlow registration district. These are the two registration districts to check. Births had to be registered in the district in which the birth occurred. Many births went unregistered in the early days of civil registration.

So it is quite possible that the birth wasn't registered. In these circumstances you would have to work from the parish register and also check for a sibling who might have been registered and obtain that certificate as a substitute.

jdavey

Many thanks Geoffers and Peter, that is terrific information, I will follow up all lines. Cheers Jayne