Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default The Draper family from Wiltshire

I am researching the ancestry of Mary Draper.

She was born around 1798 in either Market Lavington or West Lavington, Wiltshire.

In 1828 or so she was living [and presumably employed] in the Parish of St. Mary, Whitechapel. At about this time of her life, she met a man - Thomas Fanning - who, to all intents and purposes, appears to be a Police Man. They married on May 7, 1829 in the Parish Church of St. Bodolph, Aldgate.

After marriage, the couple took up residence in St. Mary, Whitechapel, where Thomas appears to have continued as a Police Man. They had a total of 4 children between 1830 and 1836 and I have the baptisms of each. 1 child died prior to the 1841 census.

Thomas died in 1842.

Mary, with 3 youngsters, appealed to the Wiltshire Society for assistance to get her son Thomas into an Apprenticeship, which was achieved in April 1846. As this organization was formed to assist former residents of Wiltshire who had fallen on 'hard times', I suspect that she would have had to prove her connection to the County

Mary died in 1849 and is buried, I believe, in a Pauper's Grave in the churchyard in St. Mary, Whitechapel, which is where her children were baptized and where 2 are also possibly buried.

Can folks help in setting me in the right direction to research this area of interest?

Thanks
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

Just want to add a piece of new info about Mary.

Have found a baptism from IGI - submitted records - for a Mary Draper daughter of John and Elizabeth formerly Sainsbury on July 2, 1797 in Market Lavington. Is there any way to prove this is this right one?

Would the Wiltshire Society still retain records or are those records now part of Wiltshire FHS?

Colin

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello Colin, long time no do!

If you visit the baptism above on familysearch, you will see that it is entered 3 times

02 July 1797 Mary d/o John DRAPER & Betty Market Lavington x 2

02 July 1797 Mary d/o John DRAPER & Betty Draper West Lavington x 1

and as you state, a submitted record, you really need to look at the BT or PR to determine how 'good' the info is!

Try the site to order BT or PR
    or

(https://www.)genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WIL/MarketLavington/

Found this on books.google.co.uk

The apprentice registers of the Wiltshire Society, 1817-1922

H. R. Henly, Wiltshire Society - 1997 - 192 pages - Snippet view
    151 Fanning, Thomas Digby, son of Mary, of 4 John St,Whitechapel: to Arthur John Wadsworth, truss manufacturer, of 8 Bell Yd., Gracechurch St. 7 yrs, £. April 1846 Father, many years messenger at the Lambeth Police Court, died in 1842, ...
    books.google.co.uk - Book overview

You may find a copy here....
    University of Western Ontario
    Western Libraries
    London, ON N6G 1H1 Canada

geneius

Mkt Lavington

Hi Colin

I'm not sure I can be much help but I am in Market Lavington, curate the village museum and have web sites about both museum and Market Lavington. Our museum blog at www.marketlavingtonmuseum.org.uk has entries for Draper including a couple of Drapers on the 1836 electoral roll.

I have baptisms, marriages and burials for Market Lavington - but not all periods.

Cheers

Rog Frost aka Mkt Lavington

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mkt Lavington View Post
    Hi Colin

I'm not sure I can be much help but I am in Market Lavington, curate the village museum and have web sites about both museum and Market Lavington. Our museum blog at www.marketlavingtonmuseum.org.uk has entries for Draper including a couple of Drapers on the 1836 electoral roll.

I have baptisms, marriages and burials for Market Lavington - but not all periods.

Cheers

Rog Frost aka Mkt Lavington
    Hi Rog.
    Great was hardly the word when I read your response - it was beyond my limited vocabulary!!

Would you prefer me to post my limited info on this thread, or may I p/m you with what I know?

Thanks in advance
    Colin

Mkt Lavington

Email me please if tyhat's what p/m means.

Cheers

Rog

Mkt Lavington

Sorry - that's either rogfrost AT gmail DOT com or curator AT marketlavingtonmuseum DOT org DOT uk

Rog
    Last edited by Jan1954; 31-08-2010 at 5:39 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to foil the spammers

Colin Rowledge

Hi Rog.

I very much appreciate the information you provided in your emails.

I can confirm that the last line in the entry for young Thomas in the Apprentices Register was that his mother, Mary Draper, was originally from Market Lavington, Wiltshire.

Apart from a baptism, what else would be available to support the fact that she was from that community and where would such information be maintained?

Could the Wiltshire Family History Centre be my next logical place to contact?

Cheers
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

It would appear that the last 2 months have produced several couples who may be the forebears of Mary Draper. After supper, I'll prepare a link to each generation and would appreciate help in confirming same. All would appear to be from the area of Market Lavington, Wiltshire.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    It would appear that the last 2 months have produced several couples who may be the forebears of Mary Draper. After supper, I'll prepare a link to each generation and would appreciate help in confirming same. All would appear to be from the area of Market Lavington, Wiltshire.

Colin
    Before, I start is anyone familiar with the Parish records of West Lavington, Wiltshire? Elizabeth Sainsbury - Mary Draper's mother - seems to hail from that 'neck of the woods' and died in Warminster in the 3 Q 1837 - vol. 7 page 250 at age 64. Her birth year would be about 1773.

Colin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast