Knowledgeable and helpful

Default What happened to Louisa VEAL/E after 1851?

The birth of Louisa Veal was registered in Okehampton in Apl/Jun 1845. In 1851 she is shown with her parents George (b 1811/2) and Rebecca (b 1809/10) and siblings Joanna (1841), Charlotte (1843) and George (1847) living at Rules Cottage, Bridestowe. I have been unable to identify her on any later census, nor can I find an entry for her subsequent death or marriage. I have seen the registration of the death of a Louisa Veale in Newton Abbot in Oct/Dec 1858, but have absolutely no evidence that the family had any connection with that area of the county. All records show a close association with West Devon.

I would very much like to learn of what happened to her and any suggestions or news of any sightings of her would be much appreciated.

Jeuel

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    The birth of Louisa Veal was registered in Okehampton in Apl/Jun 1845. In 1851 she is shown with her parents George (b 1811/2) and Rebecca (b 1809/10) and siblings Joanna (1841), Charlotte (1843) and George (1847) living at Rules Cottage, Bridestowe. I have been unable to identify her on any later census, nor can I find an entry for her subsequent death or marriage. I have seen the registration of the death of a Louisa Veale in Newton Abbot in Oct/Dec 1858, but have absolutely no evidence that the family had any connection with that area of the county. All records show a close association with West Devon.

I would very much like to learn of what happened to her and any suggestions or news of any sightings of her would be much appreciated.
    I wouldn't rule out the Newton Abbot death just because there doesn't seem to be a connection. Sometimes girls in domestic service moved some way away. My Cornish gt grandmother ended up in Richmond in Surrey because her employer got a job there. I've also found a death for a relative in my husband's tree in Sheerness. I would have dismissed it as the chap was based in the City of London, but he had an unusual name - and it turned out to be him, he'd drowned whilst on holiday.

You could ring the relevant Register Office and ask if they could check Louisa's age to see if its the right cert.

Jeuel

Thanks.

I was keeping an open mind about Louisa of Newton Abbot until I saw if anyone else came up with any other ideas. I am anticipating a premature death as her sister named her first child Louisa who, incidentally, also died young.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

LOUSA VEAL

1871 RG10 2146 Grenofen Gate Cottage, Whitchurch, Devon ( transcribed on A......y VIAL)
    in the h/hold George Jennings aged 31 b Tavistock as a visitor, desc as a dressmaker

possibilty

RG9 1420
    in the house hold of jOHN ANDREWS aged 45 b South Brent
    Louisa is desc as 13 b South brent, not looked at the original.......

Potential / conjecture

RG11 3769
    77 Hallgate, Wigan, Lancashire
    Crooks Louisa 35 Wife Bratton Clovelly, Devonshire
    CROOKS John 41 Head Wigan Gen Lab

geneius
    courtsey /copyright TNA

Marriage ( Freebmd)

Louisa VEAL to John CROOK Wigan 8c 99

Hi Geneius. Thanks.
    1861 - I shall check it out, but may have to accept as only "possible".
    1871 - looks much more promising.
    1881 - Seems to tick all the boxes - my Louisa was born in Bratton Clovelly! Certificate called for!
    I had stopped looking for her after 1875, when she was 30 and not yet married and had been out of sight for 25 years. Had assumed an early demise. Lesson learned.

Have now checked out Louisa of Grenofen (1871) and Louisa of Wigan(1881) and I am satisfied that this is my girl. Strange (for the time) that she should not marry until she was almost 32. Would love to know how she found herself in Wigan.

I think Louisa of South Brent (1861) may be the Louisa Susanna Veale, born Totnes district - which then included South Brent - in Sep Q 1846. Perhaps my Louisa was in Cornwall, visiting her father's family in Stoke Climsland.

OK agree that the 1871 & 1881 are the same person so you have her missing in 1861 and1891 /1911

geneius