Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    Another quick update: Betsey married William Henry Dowrick, and remained in Veryan. One of her children was named Susan Anna, so Betsey had obviously been told who her mother was (even though she was only 4 when her mother deserted the family).
    Or could Betsey's daughter perhaps have been named for an elder sister of Betsey, who had left home before 1841? Especially if Susan the mother is the convict with five children? Just a thought.

Wilkes_ml

It's highly feasable that Susan had children prior to her marriage to James Nott in 1834. As she was born in 1806, Susan would have been 28 when she married, so she would either have had to squeeze a couple in quick between 1841 and her transportation in 1845, or had a couple of illigitimate children prior t her marriage. I'll have another search of the parish registers!

Wilkes_ml

First one was Alice Anneer base daughter of Susanna Anneer in 1829 baptised at Veryan (named after Susanna's mother)

pottoka

The familysearch pilot site gives a marriage between James Widower Nott (sic) and Susan Annear in Veryan on 23rd August 1834. There is the entry for the baptism of son John - three times! - but not for Emma or Betsey.

There is an entry for an Edward Annear baptised in Veryan on 9th February 1834 with a mother called Susan and no father, who could count as one of the children, but that still only makes four in total, unless James had one from his previous marriage (of which I can find no trace).

James would presumably be the son of John and Elizabeth Nott, baptised on 18th May 1800 in Veryan?

P.S. Susan was clearly generous with her favours; I didn't find Alice, but Michelle did. Good for you!

Wilkes_ml

And another was Edward s. of Susan Anneer baptised 1834 at Veryan -Susan was in the workhouse at this time. Just need to check if either of these two children died prior to 1845.

Wilkes_ml

Hi Pottoka

yes I have a copy of the original marriage entry of James Nott to Susan in 1834 at Veryan. It is next to the marriage of my ancestor John Whetter Nott! I also have John Nott's Baptism at St. Mary Truro and Emma's baptism at Bodmin. Betsey Collett's birth was registerd - but yet to find baptism.

I also have James Nott's baptism - I'm trying to work out how his father John is related to my branch of Notts.

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post

P.S. Susan was clearly generous with her favours
    Clearly a bit too generous Maybe she was a prostitute all along, but poor James fell for her!

Wilkes_ml

Alive certainly survived - she is living with her grandparents John & Alice Anneer at Veryan in 1851

Wilkes_ml

And Edward appears to be a servant at Veryan in 1851 - so they must be Susan's other two children.

Wilkes_ml

And I have found both Alice and Edward living with their maternal grandparents in 1841 at Church Town, Veryan. So I guess Betsey living in Veryan would probably have also stayed in contact with her grandparents.

I think that is probably as far as I can go with Susan now - she was an interesting diversion to my Nott research!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast