Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Mary Hitchings 1811-1889 Lewes, Sussex

I need some help in tracing the life of Mary Hitchings this is what I know about her so far:

Mary Hitchings married Charles Bentick in Brighton in 1847 her father was an Edward Hitchings and by 1847 he was a pensioner. 1n 1851 they were living together in Brighton and she was born in Lewes, Sussex.
    In 1852 they had their only child a son William Bentick born 9 November 1852, at 7 Margaret Street, Brighton. By 1861 Mary is living with just her 8 year old son, still in Brighton, but not with Charles although she is listed as wife rather than widow. I cannot find Mary Bentick in 1871 census but by 1881 there is a Mary Bentick aged 71 at Race Hill workhouse in Brighton.
    Charles Bentick dies in 1886 with his son W. Bentick in attendance in Brighton.

Mary Bentick dies 23 December 1889 in the workhouse, her informant is Edward Sattin, Master Workhouse Brighton.
    I have been to the records office in Lewes looking up parish records for Mary to trace a baptisim in one of the many Lewes churches around the 1811 expected birth time, with no luck. I have been unable to find any records about when people entered RaceHill Workhouse and for what reason, so I am now wondering what I can look up now. How do I find out more about her father Edward, and who her mother was?

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be good. Thank you.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Could this be her?

1871 (RG10/1076/91/25 - Record held by TNA, Crown copyright)

Bentick, Mary (Lodger) married. Age 60, Needlewoman, born Lewes, Sussex

Jellylegs

Starting to feel at home

Thank you "jellylegs" that is her entry for 1871. In 1881 census she was described as a milliner, and I know from census returns that her husband Charles was a tailor. I am sure that must be her.

Thank you

Brick wall demolition expert!

I don't think this is going to be much help to you but..

I was looking for a baptism for Mary Hitchings on family search and came across one for a Thomas Hitchings with father Edward, baptised 1811, St Nicholas, Brighton. It's not so far from Lewes. Possibly a sibling for Mary?

Just a thought.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Olliecat every little bit of help is most welcome. Thank you.

Reputation beyond repute

I have been unable to find any records about when people entered RaceHill Workhouse and for what reason
    According to the Hospital Records Database, Admission & Discharge Registers (and also Clinical & Patients' records) for the Brighton Union Infirmary (now Brighton General Hospital) are held at East Sussex Record Office for 1889-1969.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for that information Peter. Once my son is back at school I feel a visit to Lewes will be called for!

I am interested to know if the readers of this thread have managed to uncover further details?
    Further, how do I get the 'real' birth and baptism details for both Thomas and Mary Hitchings?
    I am assuming there must also be a mother referenced in these records!
    Any help would be great as I am in Sydney and physical access is impossible. Diamond, are you still actively monitoring the thread?
    Thanks in advance

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Stantheman welcome,

The OP Diamond has not logged in for 9 months however if you click on his / hername you will be able to a pm.

A couple of free sites that may assist you

www.freebmd.org.uk The iformation is also free on the subscription site ancestry

Birth Marriage & Death certificates came into being on 1 July 1837, theses can be purchased for £9.25 gbp from www.gro.gov.uk The site gives information of what you can expect to see on the certificates.

For details prior to 1 July 1837, this is the site used containing the parish records. It is an ongoing project so not all churches have been digitalised www.familysearch.org

For the marriage you need this info from freebmd

Marriages Dec 1847 (>99%)
    Bentick Charles Brighton 7 505
    HITCHINGS Mary Brighton 7 505

Brief details of the marriage on ancestry
    Name: Charles Bentick
    Marriage Date: 4 Nov 1847
    Marriage Place: Saint Nicholas,Brighton,Sussex,England
    Father: James Bentick
    Spouse: Mary Hitchings

Births Dec 1852 (>99%)
    Bentick William Brighton 2b 166

Baptism
    Name: William Bentick
    Christening Date: 6 Jun 1858
    Christening Place: Brighton, Sussex, England
    Father's name: Charles Bentick
    Mother's name: Mary

Deaths Dec 1886 (>99%)
    Bentick Charles 65 Brighton 2b 166

Deaths Dec 1889 (>99%)
    Bentick Mary 78 Brighton 2b 166

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default Mary HITCHINGS

Appears on the 1841 census at Class: HO107; Piece: 1121; Book: 10; Civil Parish: Brighthelmstone; County: Sussex; Enumeration District: 26; Folio: 45; Page: 24; Line: 18

Head of household is Johana LEGGATT agrd 65 Mary is 30 both born in the county and show Ind which suggests they have private means!

The marriage certificate will name the witnesses which could be Mary's family members
    Name: Mary Hitchings
    Marriage Date: 4 Nov 1847
    Marriage Place: Saint Nicholas,Brighton,Sussex,England
    Father: Edward Hitchings
    Spouse: Charles Bentick

Familysearch.org

Name: Edward Hitchings
    Burial Date: 19 Feb 1836
    Burial Place: Brighthelmston, Sussex
    Birth Date: 1780
    Reference ID: IT2 P11 No85 , Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B02526-5 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 1468821 ,

As some of this information is on the familysearch site I would be inclined to order the relevant film and search for instances of the surname to see if I could put a family together!

On the opening page scroll to the bottom, select sitemap/ get help / family history centre, hopefully there is one close to your home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast