lochris

Default Tracing George Bishop

Hi there,

I'm trying to trace my grandfather, George Bishop, who I believe was a Canadian and fought in the Canadian Army during WW2. He was stationed at Fulwood Barracks, near Preston, Lancashire, England and was certainly here in July 1945 because my dad was born in April 1946. At the time my grandmother fell pregnant, my grandfather was 19, nearly 20, so I've reasoned he would probably have been born in either 1925 - 1926.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks,

Lora

Procat

Hi Lora,

Looking at this guide I don't think you are going to have much luck obtaining service records for him.

Ancestry also does not appear to be of any help in this regard.

Someone more familiar with Canadian Research may be able to provide some more infomration about available records.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a website devoted to the search for the Canadian fathers of UK war children.

canadianrootsuk.org
    (put www. in front)

frank2910

A very good and helpful site that I use a great deal is

collectionscanada.gc.ca

Put www. in front

lochris

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at the websites suggested (including the ones in the previous thread posted by Mutley). I'm also now in contact with Canadian Roots UK who will hopefully be able to help me with this search.

Lora

mykin

Hi lochris, I know of a George Bishop born in Newfoundland. Where did your George go to after the war?
    The age would be right, but this George ended up in Scotland until his death.
    These Bishops were from Portugal Cove. Nfld.
    mykin

lochris

Hey mykin, as far as I know my grandfather was sent back to Canada shortly after my grandma became pregnant (somewhere between July - September 1945). Did the George Bishop you know of go straight to Scotland after the war? Was he in the Canadian Army?

Thanks,

Lora

mykin

Hi lochris,
    His brothers are still living in Newfoundland and neither uses the computer, so will have to find their phone number or write to them.
    I haven't visited there for a long time but I will eventually get back to you.I don't know that much about George as he was long gone before I ever went to Nfld. I will do my best and ask all of your questions. mykin

lochris

Thank you very kindly for doing this, it means a lot! Whilst I know the chance of this being the correct George Bishop is fairly slim, anything to narrow down my search would be helpful. If you need to know anything else about the George Bishop I'm looking for please don't hesitate to contact me!

Thanks,

Lora

mykin

Hi Lora, It's been a long time since we talked, aand I am sorry about that.(many problems)
    I finally got the address of the Bishop man, he is unlisted so it was very difficult. 100% his brother George is not the man you are looking for. Good luck in your search. mykin