Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    soundranger

Default George Lewry; 1842 pte, Royal Marine.

George LEWRY, b. @1822, with alternative spelling of LEUREY(on marrige cert.). Married 1842, in Portsmouth. Certificate gives occupation as Private, Royal Marines.
    Married Jane COREY, b @ 1822, Marhamchurch, Cornwall.
    No 1841 Census, for either.
    1851, places Jane+2 children, in Plymouth.
    George died 1856.
    Jane died 1854.
    Looked here, and other sits, with no satisfaction.
    Read, somewhere, that RM records provide, albeit limited, antecedents?
    Unable to take my search any further!
    Any indications or assistance greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    John

MarkJ

Hi - and welcome to the forum.

Have you looked at the "sticky" in this forum section about the various RN records available at TNA and the sticky about the RM attestation papers?

Those may be of use in finding more details about George.

soundranger

Markj,

Thank you for your welcome.

I have viewed the BM TNA thread, without any joy. Checked RM Museum website, again, w/o success. George would've enlisted before 1842, possibly as a 'boy' entrant which wouldn't be unusual in the Gosport/Portsmouth area. With barracks, St. Vincent and Eastney, in both. Just hoping for a nudge in the right direction.

John.

frank2910

Soundranger:

will try and see if I can find out anything about Your ancestor George Lewry this weekend when I have some spare time. Will pop into the RM Archive on Sat/Sun. If your ancestor joined the Marines in Portsmouth as a Boy it is quite likely it was as a bugler and may have taken his training at Greenwich. He would have been stationed at Clarence Barracks. Eastney Barracks were not used for RM until later. although RM training was taken at Fort Cumberland at Eastney. Clarence Barracks were used up until 1848 when they moved to Forton Barracks in Gosport. It was not until 1923 that the Marines then moved to Eastney Barracks. I will see what I can find for you.

Frank

soundranger

Frank,

Thanks for your interest. Any information will be appreciated.

John.

birdlip

Hello John,

I think this may be one of yours...

George Thomas LEWEY bap 21 May 1843 St Thomas, Portsmouth, Hants. parents George LEWEY and Jane [C062514]

George didn't name a father on the marriage cert?

soundranger

Hi Birdlip,

George Thomas Lewry is George's son.

Thomas Lourey, was the name provided as George's father, on his marriage cert. I can only put the difference in the spelling of the surname as illiteracy(labour class etc.), and the spelling of less common names phonetically(!).

Sue1

Hi,

The Portsmouth RMLI were, when ashore, based at Forton Barracks (certainly in 1860). You say you have been unable to find him on NA website - they guy I researched was not on there either but I did visit the NA at Kew and found his papers - very enlightening - showed all the ships he had served on etc. Absolutely nothing about family on there.

Happy hunting, Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by soundranger
    George LEWRY, b. @1822, with alternative spelling of LEUREY(on marrige cert.). Married 1842, in Portsmouth. Certificate gives occupation as Private, Royal Marines.
    George died 1856.
    How certain are you that it was your chap who popped his clogs in 1856?

Does his death certifiacte show him as still serving in the RM?

soundranger

Default Missing Marine 1851 Census

East Stone House, Plymouth, Devon.

Can place family, but unable to find missing husband, who 100% was a Royal Marine at time of census. Any indications as to 'place' Marine for this census.

Thank you,

John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast