Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Edward Blewitt born 1840 Ireland

Edward first appeared on the English census in 1871 in Newcastle upon Tyne. He was then called BLUETT. I traced his marriage in 1862 in Newcastle Brigit Cosgrove also born Ireland in 1844. All census entries oonly say born in Ireland.
    I am anxious to trace either persons wherabouts in Ireland. who were their parents and were there any siblings to Edward in particular. I have traced other Blewitts in Newcastle who born about the same time as Edward but have not been able to confirm if they are related
    Any help would be appreciated

Reputation beyond repute

When was he born?

On marriage, what was his occupation and what was his father's name and occupation?

He was born 1840 in Ireland and was a Fireman when he married in Newcastle in Jun 1862. His father,William ,was a labourer

Peter--when he married he was recorded as Edward BLUTE. Wonder if this was his correct name?

Reputation beyond repute

BLUTE...BLEWETT...BLUETT sound the same to me

BLEWETT is an English name and whenever I see an English surname born in Ireland I suspect a military connection. Perhaps not in this case if his father is down as a labourer. May still be worth checking though.

cmulcahy

Hi Eric,

There are Bluit, Bluett and Blute in Ireland for approximately 350 years. They are in Cork, Tipperary and Limerick, and also a pocket in Mayo. In Ireland, the spelling of the name vary greatly and the English when keeping records tended to write Blewitt, the Irish wrote more "phonetically" hence the Blute corruption.
    Edward is also often the anglicised version of Edmond or Edmund (I don't know why since Edmond is also Saxon) coming from Eamonn in Irish. You are looking for a Edward/Edmond Bluit born c.1840 son of a William, Labourer

You could try the Griffith Valuation printed in 1852-1854 from records collected between 1847 and 1852, they record occupation of land, they are available free on www.askaboutireland.ie click on Griffith and try Blewit and Blewitt and all other spelling.

If he was catholic, use the name of his children as an indication of patterns: first born son usually named after paternal grandfather, first born daughter named after paternal grandmother, second born son after maternal grandfather...etc.. but use it with a pinch of salt.

Cecile Mulcahy
    Irish Researcher

Thanks for your suggestion. There are Blewitts etc on Griffiths Valuation but it is impossible to confirm whether or not they relate to my ancestors. Have you any other suggestions that might pin them down?

david blewitt

Default Edward Blewitt

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ponton View Post
    Edward first appeared on the English census in 1871 in Newcastle upon Tyne. He was then called BLUETT. I traced his marriage in 1862 in Newcastle Brigit Cosgrove also born Ireland in 1844. All census entries oonly say born in Ireland.
    I am anxious to trace either persons wherabouts in Ireland. who were their parents and were there any siblings to Edward in particular. I have traced other Blewitts in Newcastle who born about the same time as Edward but have not been able to confirm if they are related
    Any help would be appreciated
    Hi
    Suspect there is a reasonable chance this may help?
    My family also came from Ireland to Newcastle. They appear in the 1851 census in Newcastle under the name BLUIT, (or, if you go on Ancestry.com under the name BLINT- ancestry.com couldn't read the census hand writing very well). Census shows Father being WILLIAM (widower), Sister Mary, Brothers Patrick, William,Edward (age 14). All from Mayo Ireland. Birth date of this edaward would thus be about 1837, which is a bit off your 1840, but not untypical in geneaology terms. Edward does not appear in the 1861 census,when the spelling of the name was changed to Blewit.
    Have a bit more information about mayo, if you think this is the right Edward. Get back in touch if so.

Happy Xmas

Regards
    David Blewitt

David thanks for your message. I haven't access to Ancestry now but will look at it at the library this week sometime
    It may well be that there is a connection yours to mine!!
    My Edward Blewitt had 7 children-Catherine (1863-Newcastle),Edward (1870-Newcastle),Mary (1873-Newcastle),Patrick (1875-Newcastle),Sarah (1878 ??),Honora (1878-Newcastle),and Bridgett (1881-Newcastle). Bridgett was my grandmother and married John Harrison). Do any of these names tie in with your tree.
    Merry xmas (hope you get rid of all the snow soon). Ours in Northallerton has dissappeared for the moment
    Eric

david blewitt

Default Blewitt Update

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ponton View Post
    David thanks for your message. I haven't access to Ancestry now but will look at it at the library this week sometime
    It may well be that there is a connection yours to mine!!
    My Edward Blewitt had 7 children-Catherine (1863-Newcastle),Edward (1870-Newcastle),Mary (1873-Newcastle),Patrick (1875-Newcastle),Sarah (1878 ??),Honora (1878-Newcastle),and Bridgett (1881-Newcastle). Bridgett was my grandmother and married John Harrison). Do any of these names tie in with your tree.
    Merry xmas (hope you get rid of all the snow soon). Ours in Northallerton has dissappeared for the moment
    Eric
    Hi, I haven't actually investigated Edward's Spouse/family yet, just him as part of the 1851 census record and earlier. I have a possible lead from someone in ireland, who passed over the following infomation:
    It is based on the father being William Bluet and there perhaps being only 6 Blewitt families around 1830 in northern Co. Mayo.
    The details are:

First Name Edward
    Surname Bluet
    Date of Birth 27 March 1836
    Date of Christening 30 March 1836
    Father's Name Wm. Bluet
    Mother's Name Honor Moran
    Sponsor 1 - Name John Naghten
    Sponsor 2 - Name Winifred Mc Nally

If you look at the names of "your Edwards" children, the first names tie in with "My Edwards" family on the 1851 census. Brother Patrick, Sister Mary, Mother from above Honor.

If you send me an Email, I can pass a copy of the 1851 census sheet if it helps, plus other info that might help. My Email address is [email protected]

Regards. -And no, the snow is still here, we have just had about 8 inches of snow in the last 3 days!

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast