Mr.Potter

Default Thrapston and Shrapton

Could some kind soul please tell me if there is/was any connection between Thrapston and Shrapton? - I cannot find Shapston in Google Earth, but see that Thrapston is near Kettering.

I have the Uncle (William Ferrar)of my maternal grandfather who is shown as born in Shrapton, Northampton, in both the IGI and 1881 census; whilst his mother who is only shown as Mary Ann in the IGI Vital Records, was probably the sister of William Ferrar appears as Mary Ann Farrer of Thrapston, Northampton in the IGI.

In the 1881 census Grandpa (Joshua George Knights) was aged 11 and living with his Uncle and Aunt - the Ferrars) in Enfield.

Hence my query and the two villages - I am, of course allowing for the mis-spelling of names which was common - as we all know.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have found William Ferrar in earlier census records and based on what I see in the images of the handwriting of earlier enumerators, I think Shrapton is meant to be Thrapston.

In the 1881 census, the word may have been misspelled in transferring the information from the household enumeration sheet to the registration district enumeration sheet.

Mr.Potter

Thank you Adele, on that basis I think I can safely proceed and assume that Mary Ann was related to William Farrer - it would seem that both she and her husband (who was also Joshua George Knights) died leaving young Joshua to be brought up by her brother and sister in law. Regards, Charles.

NickFerrar

Default Thrapston Ferrar

Hi Charles, I know it is a while since you posted on this thread but I am looking into the Thrapston Ferrars as i trace my own ancestors ... I wonder how far you got. I got back to John Alexander Ferrar 1748 to 1816 but can get no further back. I am trying to prove a ling to Nicholas Ferrar of Little Gidding 1592 to 1637 but can't quite make the link between his family tree and mine! Nick Ferrar