Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Summer

Default Help finding date of birth in Victoria

Hi everyone,

Hopefully a "quickie"! I have a "great uncle" who died in infancy in December of 1918. Name: Bruce Cowey. Died 27th December 1918. I'm just looking for a birthdate and can't access from Victoria's BDMs as it's out of the range of historical births. (Unless I'm doing something wrong). If anyone could help who has the cds, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers Heaps!

LaurenceB

Ancestry now have Australian births marriages and deaths. I searched for Bruce Cowey and found him in the deaths registered in 1919, but couldn't see him in the births. I don't have a subscription so can't give you any more details.

Laurence.

Ms Tarfgi

I too can only find a death registered. Was he definitely born in Australia?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I checked Victorian Cemeteries for the death date of 27/12/1918-1919. Not found.Did find Parents however in expected area.
    Were they James Picken Cowey & Hazel Grace Cowey? Even using just Cowey these were the only two I found. Had hoped the birthdate may be mentioned.
    Perhaps newspapers may be the way.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

CassieK

Birth
    COWEY Bruce
    Father James Picken Mother Annie Louisa CARTER
    At Essendon 1919 Reg#27097

Death
    COWEY Bruce
    Father Cowey James Picken Mother Annie Louisa CARTER
    At Essendon 1919 Reg#17082

Cheers
    Cassie

CassieK

Marriage

COWEY James Picken
    CARTER Annie Louisa
    1919 Reg# 232

Cassie

Summer

OK everyone - A BIG APOLOGY!! I gave the wrong year. Amateur mistake - sorry! Yes it was 1919.

James Picken COWEY and Annie Louisa CARTER were the parents of Bruce and he was born ?? Dec 1919, then died 27th December 1919 according to The Argus newspaper notice (haven't been able to find a birth notice though on the nla site). I have one family member saying he lived 10 days, another 15 so I was wanting to find out for sure. Looks like CassieK has the right one, Essendon fits too, that's where the CARTER family had family home. Is there anyway of seeing this record without paying for the cert? Being an infant and that I know all details apart from DOB, I was hoping not to have to purchase this one!
    Hazel Grace Cowey is daughter-in-law of James and Annie (married David). I'm curious at which cemetery that James Picken is registered as being buried at. He was cremated and was in a Melbourne cemetery "wall" for a while until his wife died and then he was put to final rest with her in north west Victoria. Am dedicating a military plaque on their grave for James in a couple of weeks actually! James served in WW1 (Gallipoli, France) and was awarded MC and then went back as a 52 year old and fought at PNG in the jungle of the Owen Stanley Ranges (Kokoda, Isurava).
    Thanks everyone for your help!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

www.
    deceasedsearch.com/index.php
    Just type in the Surname.

www.
    australiancemeteries.com/vic/index.htm
    for other Victorian Cemeteries.
    Last edited by Waitabit; 15-07-2010 at 2:44 AM. Reason: edit URL in post
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenceB View Post
    Ancestry now have Australian births marriages and deaths. ....

Laurence.
    Thanks for that info - I had no idea that these indexes were now on Ancestry.

This particular birth would not be available online anywhere, as Victoria now has a 100 year rule on births, and Ancestry has to abide by those constraints for each State.

Bruce is buried at Fawkner cemetery, aged recorded as B. He appears to be buried alone.
    The death notice at Trove (The Argus (Melbourne, Tuesday 30 December 1919) does not indicate an age, nor does the death registration. I would say he has died very shortly after birth on the same day as his death. His parents married 3rd March 1919 (The Argus (Melbourne, Saturday 5 April 1919 p 13)
    ChristineR

Summer

Great, thanks everybody. I think the best thing to do is to get a family member who lives nearby Fawkner to visit the grave 1st. There may be a headstone which might have a date of birth. Failing that, I'll have to buy another cert. God this isn't the most inexpensive of hobbies, sure it's not??!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast