Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    busyglen

Default Two burials same grave?

I know I've asked a similar question some time back, but I'm blowed if I can find it now, and little grey cells seized up!

Whilst looking through some burials on the City of London burials website some time ago, I noticed in several cases that some of the entries showed the same plot and date although the people were unrelated. Some were shown as paupers, and I guessed that this was probably the case, but although someone answered this question, I can't find it now. Also there appeared to be a grave used at a later date for another person. Was this because of lack of space or because they couldn't afford to be buried?

For an example go here (hope this is allowed if not please delete)

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/buria...s/00010024.jpg

Thanks.

Glenys

Jan1954

Was it this thread, Glen?

louisa maud

If they were paupers graves there would be more than one person buried in it, I have always been under the impression that they buried as many as they could get into one grave, to save space and money I suppose

Louisa Maud

Sandra Parker

They certainly were. Recently, whilst in London, I spent hours pouring through old records seeking my family's graves. In many instances there were at least 6 burials in one site, and the depth was given for each. In 1882 one of my lot was in a Common plot with 6 others, none related as far as I know. The first burial at 14 feet, then 13, 12, 11 till it got to 8. So much for 6 feet under.
    Sandra

bjelkier

I recently made enquiries about a burial in Gravesend,Kent in 1859. The lady from the archives very kindly sent me the details [ and map] and explained that the lady I was enquiring about was the third person to be buried in a common grave, this meant that although the family had paid for the burial they hadn't 'bought' a plot.

jeeb

Hi Glenys,
    All those burials were in unconsegrated ground and 2nd class common burials. Basically they would be in common graves which were filled as people died and as quickly as possible. Several were buried after a coroner's inquest which suggest sudden unexplained deaths, possibly suicide therefore burial in unconsegrated ground.
    You will notice that children are not buried in the same graves as adults and the 'square' nos for the children were different from the adults although the sequence continued for both eg children square 27, 28 & adults square 57, 58 which meant children were buried in a different area from the adults.

Jeremy

bjelkier

The burial I referred to in earlier post was in the consecrated area of the cemetery.

busyglen

Thanks Jan, yes that was the thread. I just couldn't find the right search words, and less is more these days (if you know what I mean?)

Thanks again.

Glen

busyglen

Thanks also Louisa Maud, Sandra, Bjelkier and Jeremy for your replies, much appreciated.

NB. Twice I have tried to add something to a post I've just made, but it will not save. The updating circle just keeps going around with nothing happening. Is this a known problem? Or is it just me being awkward again!

Glenys

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen View Post
    NB. Twice I have tried to add something to a post I've just made, but it will not save. The updating circle just keeps going around with nothing happening. Is this a known problem? Or is it just me being awkward again!

Glenys
    Glen,

If you want to edit/add something to a post that you have just made, click on "advanced" after you have clicked the edit button. That will take the whirly thing away and you will be able to save your addition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast