Kentincomer

Default Herefordshire place name -deciphering!

Hi
    I have a puzzle from the 1851 census. Trying to find the birth place of Margaret Home, resident in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire. I think it says Hereford, then a town. problem is, I cannot find a town in Herefordshire remotely like what it looks like. Help! the reference is:

Class HO107 Piece 1983 Folio 220 Page 33 Margaret Home is the last but one entry on the page.

I would be really grateful if someone could look at it for me, and suggest what it might say.

Thanks

Chris

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Could it be Longtown?

Jellylegs

terrysfamily

Bishops Castle is in Shropshire.

I have had one relative on a census put Bishops Castle Herefordshire. It turned out she was born Richards Castle Herefordshire.

I think it's Longtown too
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

terrysfamily

Please ignore my post. I didn't read the initial thread properly. Tried to edit it but BG went into a loop when I tried to save it within the alotted time.

Sorry

Kentincomer

Thanks for the replies- cannot find her in the Clodock and Longtown baptisms, though. Unfortunately, she died before the 1861 census, so cannot check that one!

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

FamilySearch.org has a marriage of an Edward Home and a Margaret Howells on 06/04/1804 at Bishops Castle, Shropshire (which is where they are in 1841 and where their daughter Charlotte was born - according to the census).

There is also a Christening of a Margaret Howels (only one L) on 06/01/1782 at Leinthall-Starkes, Hereford - Father Francis Howels, Mother Margaret.

I think both records are extracted, and not member submitted - perhaps someone could check please, not used to using the site much.

Jellylegs

Kentincomer

Thanks, Jellylegs, I have those already, and the birth date for Leinthall-Starkes tallies with the age she gives on the census. My problem is that I cannot make the town on the census read Leinthall-Starkes! Can anyone from Herefordshire help me out?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kentincomer View Post
    My problem is that I cannot make the town on the census read Leinthall-Starkes!
    I am no expert on Herefordshire, but not everyone is baptised in the same place in which they were born.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids