Famous for offering help & advice

Default 1918 MILITARY HOSPITAL

I'm really not sure where to ask this...
    I am looking for the place of death for George Edward Yeoman, born Mar. 8, 1896 in Ontario, Canada. He was a sapper for the Canadian Engineers in WW I. His death is listed as Oct. 5, 1918 and he is buried at Etaples Military Cemetary, France. Family history says he died in England from infuenza, however I have not found out where. Also, why would his body have then been shipped to France for burial..did they not have Commonwealth cemeteries in England?

Thanks all military gurus!

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Etaples was No 7 Canadian General Hospital, see link below for description of General Hospitals.

https://www.ramc-ww1.com/chain_of_evacuation.php

I can't think why if he died in UK they would have buried him in France. If the information came from Ancestry, they do sometimes wrongly give place of death as Aldershot, UK.

Keith

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Sue,
    Have you heard of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission? Put the usual www. in front of cwgc.org
    Enter just George's surname, initial, and select war and year of death. When the entry comes up if you click on the name of the cemetery it gives you details of the cemetery, and if you click on certificate there's a photo of part of the cemetery.
    Pam

I must remember to read original posts in a thread thoroughly before replying.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by keith9351 View Post
    Etaples was No 7 Canadian General Hospital, see link below for description of General Hospitals.

https://www.ramc-ww1.com/chain_of_evacuation.php

I can't think why if he died in UK they would have buried him in France. If the information came from Ancestry, they do sometimes wrongly give place of death as Aldershot, UK.

Keith
    Hi Keith...

Thanks for the information about the Canadian Hospital at Etaples. It is a possiblity he died there, then... As I also said I don't know where the idea of him dying in England came from, but that's what his nephew has always understood and in the Canadian Archives ( which are having technical difficulties at present) I am also sure it said England. The information was not from Ancestry...just his attestation papers, although I did search for a death or burial on both .ca and uk but no luck....

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi Sue,
    Have you heard of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission? Put the usual www. in front of cwgc.org
    Enter just George's surname, initial, and select war and year of death. When the entry comes up if you click on the name of the cemetery it gives you details of the cemetery, and if you click on certificate there's a photo of part of the cemetery.
    Pam

I must remember to read original posts in a thread thoroughly before replying.
    Hi Pam....

You are not alone! Yes, I did check the CWWC! Its a very peaceful looking, artistic cemetery.

Sue