Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Settling in

Hi Paddy - I've looked on Free BMD and found 2 Evelyn Spencers b 1889 - one in Bradford and one in Witney (nr Oxford). Or maybe she just wasn't registered. Have you a date of death for Clara Spencer?

Settling in

Hi Diane and thanks for your message. My mum who died last year often talked about her Uncle Walter. When mum was a young girl she used to do the shopping for Walter and her grandmother (Emma Marrall). At this time (1930's) there was only Emma and her son Walter living in the house on Bramall Lane. Emma had 10 children (I've included Evelyn in this but it appears she was actually born to Clara Spencer) - Thorntons and Marralls - 4 of the Thorntons died young. I have a few anecdotes which my mum told me about them. I'm in Sheffield too and would love to hear from you

WOODIFSHECUD

Quote Originally Posted by Kath4747 View Post
    Hi Diane and thanks for your message. My mum who died last year often talked about her Uncle Walter. When mum was a young girl she used to do the shopping for Walter and her grandmother (Emma Marrall). At this time (1930's) there was only Emma and her son Walter living in the house on Bramall Lane. Emma had 10 children (I've included Evelyn in this but it appears she was actually born to Clara Spencer) - Thorntons and Marralls - 4 of the Thorntons died young. I have a few anecdotes which my mum told me about them. I'm in Sheffield too and would love to hear from you
    Kath contact me on dianewood829 AT btinternet DOT com

Thanks Diane
    Last edited by olliecat; 21-09-2011 at 5:09 AM. Reason: Email address edited to try to deter spammers

padua

Thanks Kath and Diane
    Great to have this connection - Clara Fanny Smith Spencer died 20 June 1897 in the Sheffield Workhouse. Death in the Sub-district of West Brightside.
    I do have her death certificate
    She is shown as the widow of Frederick Spencer of Scotland Street Sheffield - Her daughter Amelia Jackson of 40 Southgate Eckington was the informant.
    I assumed that Evelyn was a child from the Clara and Samuel Marrall therefore being William's sister. I did find a Evelin Marrall on the 1911 census living with Emma and family age 22 along with Samuel Herbert and Emily Marrall the the Thornton children Walter Harry John and Harold.
    Seems we are getting more pieces of the jigsaw puzzle.

kind regards
    Reg and Paddy New Zealand

Settling in

Hi Paddy - I think you are correct about Evelyn being the child of Clara and Sam. That would make her an Aunt to Reg - has he any recollection of his father William having a sister - wonder why they were split up....who brought William up if Evelyn went to live with Sam and Emma when they married? Such a complex family tree with so many questions. Kind regards, kath

celtic cousin

Hi,
    It's great to find others researching this family! I have been trying to trace any connection with Clara Fanny Spencer for a number of years. Clara was my gt grandmother,her son Albert Spencer born 1881 was my grandfather. Clara was married to Frederick Spencer and they had a son called Frederick b1873 and daughter Emily b1875. These two children remained with Frederick and his mother. It seems Clara and Frederick seperated some time after 1875 with Clara going on to have 5 more children. Amelia, Samuel, and Albert have no father's name on their birth certificates but are all registered as Spencer. William and Evelyn are also Spencer on census but later became Marell. On my grandfather's marriage cert. he declares his father as Samuel Spencer deceased which I now know is false. Would love to find out whether Samuel Marrell was his father too. wouldlove to correspond further.

Kind regards
    Carol

padua

Default SAMUEL MARRALL & WILLIAM MERRILL

Thanks Sue
    I have looked up Nat. Arch. records and found Samuel Marrall on Militia Attestation form No 3055 and see that to reply of question 15 (have you been in service before) is written 4th Bde R A (17 years) Claimed discharge 30.7.87 That would have meant he joined first in 1870 -
    and possibly the Census for Samuel Maller in Aldershot 1881 still leaves that open -

This information is for Samuel signing 4th Battalion Derbyshire Does any of this make sense?
    ALso looking for Reg's father- William (no middle name) 21/3/1892 he fought in WW1 and his next of kin was Evelyn he married in 1916- any clues were to look? Reg is not well in a rest home and frail so hence to urgency Merry Christmas we are in the sun!

padua

Just been re reading the MARRALL Merrill line and the THORNTON' would love to know if any more updates
    great to think there are cousins all around the world

kind regards from Reg - Samuel's grandson down here - Has Parkinson's but hanging in there the darling
    regards
    Padua

padua

Paddy Merrill here- My husband Reg (reginald) was Samuel Marrall (Merrill)' grandson. His father was William Merril who was the child of Samuel and Clara Fanny- they never married. After Clara Fanny died Samuel went on to marry Emma Thornton(her married name was a widow) and they have several children together as well as the Thornton Children. I have recently lost my husband Reg died 20 August 2012 and now wish to continue with the search. A Richard Myers did contact me and we established that William was indeed Samuel's son as shown on Williams Birth Cert. Love to here from Diana or Kath or Richard etc that may be able to reestablish this link Happy Easter and lots of chocolate

WOODIFSHECUD

Hi Paddy

Its Diane here, sorry to hear about your husband, cant imagine what you went/are going through xx.

I spoke to Walter Thorntons daughter Maureen and she was amazed at this link, I tried to explain that someone may have her fathers medals, is this true or am I getting confused?

Any further updates?

Happy Easter to you too, no chocs (although I am trying to find a link to the Thornton dynasty as Walter Thornton was born in the same area and at the same time that the first Thorntons chocolate shop opened here in Sheffield)

Take Care Diane xx

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast