cheryljones

Question Queen Mary - Musicians 1936 -1945

My grandfather John William Turner born c1897 sailed aboard the Queen Mary and The Empress of Britain between 1936 and 1945.
    He is on the ships passenger list as a musician. He played with the Billy Cotton Band and Harry Roy & his band.
    Would he have been a registered seaman or just a crew member. Would there be details of his birth, parents, address or anything.
    As my father was born out of wedlock I have no real information apart from at the time he was born JW Turner and my grandmother Gladys Jones nee Cox lived in Liverpool.

Any help, leads or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheryl

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This link may be interesting to you, although it is mainly on the "Titanic".
    There is other content as well.

Oh yes, & as suggested by notanotherminer, do Google, ...Billy Cotton has some interesting vids
    Last edited by Waitabit; 18-06-2010 at 2:36 AM. Reason: addabit
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

cheryljones

Thanks to you both. There are other musicians on the passenger list. I have looked at the Billy Cotton site but cannot find any info on him. Just to get an accurate birth date would be good. Have found a J Turner in the 1901 census at Kent with family. All born in Manchester - which could be them.
    Again thanks will keep looking. Bit of a needle in a Haystack really. Was hoping they would have to fill in some sort of form before they boarded even as a band member.

Regards Cheryl

cheryljones

Hi, not sure where to go next with JW Turner. Found him on ships passenger list with other musicians. Certain that this is him. Can you please tell me how to find more on him as I have no idea what to do next. Would there have been any paperwork which would list his home address or next of kin. Just to get one lead would be awesome.
    Again thanks, Cheryl