meleanor

Default Imanuel F. Berner b. 1839 in Wirtemberg-help!

My ancester is Imanuel F. Berner (sometimes he used Emanuel) was born @ 1839 in Wirtemberg, Germany. He was a German Evangelical Methodist minister. He came to the USA @ 1859 . He married Catherine Hensz in Otter Creek, Linn, Iowa 1864. His first child Adoph G, was born @1865 in Louisa IA. Then Orlando Ames @ 1870 in Dubuque IA. John B. @ 1870 Dubuque. Thusnelda in 1874 in Clinton IA. Fredrick Emanuel @ 1876 in Blackhawk IA. Alfred Cookman Berner 1878 in Ackley IA. Can anyone get information in Germany about Imanuel or ideas of how to go about this? Thanks!!!!!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you checked the IGI? There are several Berner Emanuels born in Wuerttemberg , one Emanuel Friederich however was born 1829 & died same year.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by meleanor View Post
    He came to the USA @ 1859
    As I mentioned in your other thread, the 1900 US census included quite a family grouping.

One of these persons was a nephew Augustus E Berner, born Jan 1860 in Kansas, of parents born in Germany. This leads me to think that your Imanuel F Berner may have immigrated with/before/after family (at least one brother). So perhaps tracking this Augustus E Berner back through census records will give you the name of Augustus' father, which should be Imanuel's brother.

A check of the 1899 Los Angeles city directory indicates that Gustave E Berner is a manager of Heywood Bros & Wakefield Co (a furniture manufacturer). This matches Augustus E Berner's occupation, manager furniture store, on the 1900 census. So perhaps we should be looking for the name Gustave E Berner on previous census records.

The pieces may be coming together:

1870 US Census - Holton, Jackson, Kansas

Christian Beaner (sic), 41, Minister of the Gospel, b. Wurtemburg
    Eliza ", 41, keeping house, b. ditto
    Gustave, 10, b. Kansas
    Theophilus, 9, b. Iowa
    Theodosia, 7, b. Iowa
    Richard, 5, b. b. Nebraska

If this is the same Gustave/Augustus as in the 1900 US census in California, then a picture is emerging of two brothers from Germany, both Ministers.

meleanor

Great finds!!!! I will be going over these, and seeing what is there. I have found so much family history thru the many heads put together on British Gen. Let me know if you have other leads. Thanks everyone. Meli