meleanor

Default Iowa: Katherine Cookman b. 1841 Germany,

I would like to find records of my G Grandmother Katherine Cookman b. Dec. 1841. She came to US in 1850 and married Imanuel F. Berner @ 1863. They lived in Waverly, Des Moines, Ackley IA, and Los Angeles Ca.

I find her in the 1885 IA census, and 1900 US census. Also the Des Moines (1889-91) and Los Angeles City Directories (1894-1900). Husband must have died @ 1898. No record for that either.

Their children are, Adolph (Otto), Orlando James, John b., Thusnelda, Fred, Alfred. All born in Iowa

Any ideas on how to get marriage, death and names of their parents in Germany. Thanks for any ideas, Meli

Jan1954

Hello Meli,

You may find this CD to be a handy starting point.

Good luck with your research,

Brick wall demolition expert!

Is Katherine's maiden name derived from the California death index for son Alfred Cookman Berner, where his mother's maiden name is listed as Cookman?

If so, then it appears that two other brothers are listed on the California death index: Frederick E (Emmanuel?) and Orlando J. On those two death registrations, the mother's maiden name is Haines.

On the 1870 US Census in Dubuque Iowa, Catherine is recorded as being born is Hesse Cassel, and of course you know that on the 1900 US census, her widowed sister Adelaide Kopp (b Feb 1848 Germany) is living with her + various Berner & Buettill neices and nephews, so lots of material here to start building relationships.

Thank you for contacting me via Private Message. You're very welcome for the little bit of help I've been able to provide so far. Yes, I did find the information on Ancestry. You may find that your local library has Ancestry available to its patrons free of charge.

As to where to go from here, we would obviously like to find a marriage registration, hopefully in Iowa c1865, so research needs to be done as to where those records are kept, and if the record would list the parents.

Another tactic would be to build a family tree from the family grouping on the 1900 US census in California, hopefully tracking the three families (Berner, Kopp, Buettill) back through the census records, ideally ending with Adelaide & Katherine appearing as sisters, prior to their marriage. The Buettill niece & nephew may be from her side of the family or her husband's side of the family.

Whether Katherine and Adelaide's maiden name is Cookman or Haines, if they were born in Germany, then their maiden name appears to be an anglicization of a German name. Although I've said her name is Adelaide, her name on the 1900 census appears to read Adeliede.

I've found a family tree on Ancestry indicating that Adelaide Haines married Andrew Kopp, and that Mildred Haines Buettell, the married niece on the 1900 census, is the daughter of Adelaide Haines. Of course, unfortunately, no indication on the family tree as to who Adelaide's parents would be.

On the Family Search Pilot website, there is a marriage of J F Berner & Catharina Hensz at Otter Creek Township, Linn County, Iowa on 5 May 1864.

As this is an indexed entry, you may wish to order the original film at your local LDS Family History Centre in order to confirm the spelling on the original registration.

Edit: I see that the marriage has been indexed several times. On another entry, the ages, his 27 and hers 22, are given.

meleanor

Thanks, I will look into all of these leads. Would really be a surprise to find Cookman is really Haines!!!! Thanks all, Meli