Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    On various registrations he is also described as "messenger" and if memory serves me, on one he is "messenger for police". Perhaps he was an older version of our modern auxiliary constable, delivering summonses etc.
    In which case I'm against a brick wall trying to find a proper 'copper' when in fact he may have been a 'uniformed messenger' for the Met. and decided to describe himself as a policeman to impress others. Sadly if that was the case, he didn't have long to enjoy the 'promotion'.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    In which case I'm against a brick wall trying to find a proper 'copper' .
    Spirits up Colin! Not a brick wall, but perhaps a change in direction of your research.

We know he was literate and was able to secure a job with the "establishment". And we know that he had parents and possibly siblings. So time now to stew on whether any of his family was in London as well. It's just a matter of casting a wider net & perhaps studying all the other Fannings in London at that time.

It may end up being a huge potential family tree, but I broke through a London ancestor brick wall by doing a one-name study of one of my ancestors that way.

My first suggestion would be to investigate all the other "literate" Fannings in London. And of course, you know we're all here to help.

stickymone

Hi Colin,

I don't think you've hit the wall yet on this one.

I've been looking at the 1841 cencus return and I'm convinced the letter after the word Police is a capital 'C' perhaps some of the other members can cast their eyes over it also.

If it is a 'C' then I would suggest the Occupation should read Police Constable

Unfortunately you will not find any online transcription for MEPO 4/333 as it hasn't been transcribed yet

You could however submit an enquiry to the people at policeorders.co.uk (the usual www. in front) they may charge for the info but the initial enquiry looks free

Happy hunting

Stickymone

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    On various registrations he is also described as "messenger" and if memory serves me, on one he is "messenger for police". Perhaps he was an older version of our modern auxiliary constable, delivering summonses etc.
    The Standard, Saturday, October 5, 1839
    "THE NEW ARRANGEMENTS IN THE POLICE COURTS
    The following arrangements have been notified, in addition to those recorded in the Standard of yesterday:-
    Lambeth Street -- A communication has been received from the Home Office approving of the selection of the magistrates, and granting the appointments to the following officers under the new regulations: namely, James Shields, as chief, and Robert Davies, second, ushers to the Court; Thos. Shellwell, doorkeeper; James Cook, gaoler; and Thomas Fanning, messenger to the Court."

Colin Rowledge

Thanks to all for responding. It's been somewhat 'trying' for the past month, so this post is my apology for leaving the responders [particularly the last 3 "hanging"!!

With his appointment in 1839 to the Court, would he have needed to be a recognized Police Officer at that time? His 1841 census report indicates he was a Policeman and his death cert in 1842 lists his occupation as Police Officer.

I know that he married in 1829. I also know that he was born in England but not of the county of residence in 1841, so where did he come from and what was he doing there?. Did he come to the area as a Copper in the late 1820's, get married to Mary, then sustained some trauma and got the posting to the Court as a form of compensation?

Given the lack of information that might be available from the Met or other police agencies from that period how do we proceed?

Thanks

Filling in time and found this....on books.google.co.uk

The apprentice registers of the Wiltshire Society, 1817-1922
    Wiltshire Society - 1997 - 192 pages
    151 Fanning, Thomas Digby, son of Mary, of 4 John St,Whitechapel: to Arthur John Wadsworth, truss manufacturer, of 8 Bell Yd., Gracechurch St. 7 yrs, £. April 1846 Father, many years messenger at the Lambeth Police Court, died in 1842,

Colin Rowledge

If my interpretation of the reading of the above and a review of the web-site for Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre is correct, then Thomas Digby [my dad's great-grandfather] was the son of Thomas and Thomas originated from Wiltshire.

Unless I'm mistaken, then this area is likely to be where I find his birth and parents in circa 1800

Colin

151 Fanning, Thomas Digby, son of Mary, of 4 John St,Whitechapel: to Arthur John Wadsworth, truss manufacturer, of 8 Bell Yd., Gracechurch St. 7 yrs, £. April 1846 Father, many years messenger at the Lambeth Police Court, died in 1842,
    The rest of the Wiltshire Society quote goes on to say ...

" ... died in 1842, leaving his family totally unprovided for. Mother from Market Lavington."

That presumably explains the Wiltshire connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    The rest of the Wiltshire Society quote goes on to say ...

" ... died in 1842, leaving his family totally unprovided for. Mother from Market Lavington."

That presumably explains the Wiltshire connection.
    Thanks, that bit didnot show on the review I had!

Wiltshire connection presumaby, maybe an approach to the Wiltshire Socierty for a copy of the page maybe fruitful.

The quote is from page 20 of the volume, which appears to have a single short paragraph on each individual. As far as I can see, that is the whole of the paragraph on Thomas Digby FANNING.

This Wiltshire Society data is held at the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre. This is what their website says (section on Apprenticeship records):

"[the Wiltshire] Society existed to assist and apprentice the children of poor persons from Wiltshire, resident in London or in Wiltshire."

Some Wiltshire Society material has been published by the Wiltshire Record Society (google for it).
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 01-07-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: addition

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast