Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dizzy600

AdeleE - Brilliant, thank you so much! Unfortunately, James Maycock isn't there so where is he in 1881???? Maybe he is mis-transcribed and that's why I can't find him. The oldest soldier with the Regiment on this census is 39 years and he would be 43 years. Frustration.....
    Thank you again for your help at least i know he is not with them.

Karen

AndyinWilts

Looks like they were in Gibraltar in 1881.

INDIAN MUTINY

The 95th was on its way to the Cape from Ireland ( 1856 - 57) when the Indian Mutiny occurred. The Regiment was diverted to Bombay where it joined the Central Indian Field force, whose achievements in marching and fighting through jungle and over arid plains under tropical skies still stand as a marvel of military achievement and endurance. It fought at Awah, Kotah, the Battle of Kotah-ke-Serai, the siege and capture of the great fortresses of Gwalior and Pouree, and the capture of the rebel camp of Koondryee. In sixteen months it marched over 3,000 miles and took part in 14 actions. Private McQuirt won for the Regiment its first VC at Rowa. The 95th remained in India until 1870.

The Regiment returned to England and served there from 1870 - 77 and 1880 - 81 with a tour in Ireland 1877 - 80 moving to Gibralter in 1881.

Here is a link to their descendants website - https://www.wfrmuseum.org.uk/sf_histo...RegimentofFoot

Hope this helps.
    Andy

Dizzy600

Hi Andy,
    Thank you for the above information. I will have a look at the website although I don't think the museum have any service records. Will have to make a trip to Kew to see if I can find him. There was one James Mycock on the Chelsea Pensioners but he isn't the right one.

Regards Karen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12