Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mummery

Christine011

Default Mummery

Hi, looking for information on a Charles Mummery, Dentist, somewhere in Scotland in the 1900's?
    From what I have been able to find out, he visited Malaysia and worked on Leper Colonies.
    Much appreciate any help.
    Cheers
    Christine011

Procat

Hi Christine011,

I have moved your post from the Certificates section of the forum to the Scotland section as it seems more appropriate there.

Can you provide any more details. For example do you know when and where he was born. Also are you able to be more specific about the information you are after. For example are you looking for census information, birth/death/marriage information etc.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

https://ohd.moh.gov.my/modules/xt_con...rint.php?id=99
    There is some info on his time in Malaysia here.

If you Google Charles Mummery you will find extra info.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Procat

I note from a reference in the Malaysia Prime Ministers web site that he was Charles F Mummery. He appears to have returned to Britain in 1955 after spending 26 years in Malaysia (found in an online reference in the newspaper The Straits Times dated 28 March 1955.

Ancestry has a record of a Charles Frederick Mummery returning to London on 26 April 1955 having sailed on the Falstria of the East Asiatic Company Ltd line.

He is recorded as having travelled 1st class, embarked from Penang, Born 20 Sept 1901, Single, U.K. Address Beechwood, Wigtown, Scotland, Occupation Dental Surgeon, citizen of Malaya, Passport issued London, Last permanent residence Malaya, Intended residence Scotland

There is also this family recorded as arriving in London on 19 August 1932 having sailed on the Rajputana of the Peninsula and Orient Steam Navigation Company Ltd line.

They sailed 1st class and embarked from Penang. U.K. address C/- Crown Agents for Colonies, Whitehall, last permanent resident F.M.S.

Mummery Charles F, Surgeon, Age 31
    Mummery Constance, H.D. Age 29
    Mummery Michael B, Age 2

Arrival London 22 Feb 1941 having sailed on the Gleniffer of the Glen line.

Charles F Mummery, 1st class, Age 39, British address C/- British Linen ?, Treadwell St, London, Dental Surgeon, permanent residence F.M.S.

Procat

FindMypast has an outgoing record for Charles Frederick Mummery:

Departed 2 April 1946 from Southampton destination Singapore on the Oranje of the Nederland line.

Age 44, last U.K. address 36A Emperor's Gate, S. Kensington, S.W.7, Occupation Dental surgeon, Intended permanent residence Malaya

Also

C.F. Mummery, sailed from London on 24 May 1924 on the Medic of the White Star line bound for Australia, 1st Class, U.K. Address 10 Theulestaine Rd, E'Burgh, Occupation Denbtal Surgeon, Age 23, last permanent residence Scotland

C.F. Mummery, sailed from London on 7 June 1937 on the Kaiser I Hind of the P.& O.S.N.Company bound for Singapore, 1st Class Occupation Crown Agent

Mrs C.F. Mummery, sailed from London on 23 Sep 1937 on the Ranchi of the P. & O. S. N. Company line bound for Singapore, 1st Class, Adult, Occupation Crown Agent, Last permanent address Crown Agents, Last permanent residence England

colashbury

There is a Public members stories on Anc..... named International Career in Dentistry. Charles Frederick Mummery 1901-1965. Presume that this was his birth and death years..........Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful

In Doug's post he couldn't make out one word of Charles' Treadwell St, London address. In my opinion it is probably the British Linen Bank (later taken over by the Bank of Scotland, I think).

Elwyn

Christine011

Default MUMMERY

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Hi Christine011,

I have moved your post from the Certificates section of the forum to the Scotland section as it seems more appropriate there.

Can you provide any more details. For example do you know when and where he was born. Also are you able to be more specific about the information you are after. For example are you looking for census information, birth/death/marriage information etc.
    Thank you for your reply. Charles Mummery (Dentist) was born, I do believe, in Fremantle, Western Australia, and went to the United Kingdom (London etc) to further his Dentistry.
    I have had a reply from another thread on Charles Frederick Mummery, and it contains names that I am familier with, eg: Wife Constance (of whom he divorced sometime in the 50's or 60's - I think). In this thread it indicates a birth date, but not where he was born, but I am sure he was born in Western Australia. He is one of my father's brothers and they are 3rd generation Australians. I know a bit about my father's brothers and sisters, mainly the ones that stayed here in Australia tho'. Uncle Charles did make a visit to Western Australia and I vaguely remember him arriving and leaving.
    I do know that my Father/Mother used to talk about his dentistry with Lepers in Malaysia.
    I have also another thread giving me information regarding that too. It is just so wonderful.
    I have names to follow up on and more names to post, but I do not want to get too confused so am just researching a couple at a time.
    Many thanks for all your help.
    Can I ask another question. You have "moved" my posts to different sections and wonder if it is something I am doing wrong or is it the norm for someone just to post a question and the moderators do the rest. I can not find where I can post to the correct area - not that I, at present know the counties etc., all very confusing at present, but your help has been immeasurable and I truly appreciate it.
    Many thanks
    Christine011

Christine011

Thanks Colin
    Yes, I think this is him.
    I do know Charles was born in Australia (Fremantle, Western Australia) as were all my Father's brothers and sisters. Their father (my Grandfather) was also a Dentist (frequently referred to as "The Butcher of Fremantle") who rode around in horse and buggy and did house calls as well as his "surgery" in Fremantle.
    I do believe Charles went to the United Kingdom (when I do not know), but I would expect he went to London first and then to Scotland, from there he went to Malaysia and that is about all I know so am looking forward to reading anything that has been written on him.
    At one stage I do remember my Mother saying that Charles was rated as the 7th Top Dentist in the World. But, of course, that could have been an imbelishment from her - she loved a story.....need I say more.
    Any information is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again, Colin
    Christine011

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Christine011 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. Charles Mummery (Dentist) was born, I do believe, in Fremantle, Western Australia, and went to the United Kingdom (London etc) to further his Dentistry.
    I have had a reply from another thread on Charles Frederick Mummery, and it contains names that I am familier with, eg: Wife Constance (of whom he divorced sometime in the 50's or 60's - I think). In this thread it indicates a birth date, but not where he was born, but I am sure he was born in Western Australia. He is one of my father's brothers and they are 3rd generation Australians. I know a bit about my father's brothers and sisters, mainly the ones that stayed here in Australia tho'. Uncle Charles did make a visit to Western Australia and I vaguely remember him arriving and leaving.
    I do know that my Father/Mother used to talk about his dentistry with Lepers in Malaysia.
    I have also another thread giving me information regarding that too. It is just so wonderful.
    I have names to follow up on and more names to post, but I do not want to get too confused so am just researching a couple at a time.
    Many thanks for all your help.
    Hi Christine011,

I see a birth for a Charles Frederick Mummery in the West Australian Birth Indexes:

Name: Mummery, Charles Frederick
    Father: Sydney Benjamin
    Mother: Frederick Edith Mary Prin
    Place: Perth
    Year: 1901
    Registration No: 4382

Quote Originally Posted by Christine011 View Post
    Can I ask another question. You have "moved" my posts to different sections and wonder if it is something I am doing wrong or is it the norm for someone just to post a question and the moderators do the rest. I can not find where I can post to the correct area - not that I, at present know the counties etc., all very confusing at present, but your help has been immeasurable and I truly appreciate it.
    Many thanks
    Christine011
    The best way to try and work out where to post is to go to the forum home page and look through the various sections then try to work out the most appropriate spot. I moved this one because it was located under Certificates. That particular section is for queries about advice on obtaining certificates, what they contain, where are the indexes? which is not what your query related to. As you referred to Scotland I thought that was the most appropriate spot. If you look under the name of each section on the home page you will see that many (though not all) contain a description of what type of query is intended to be made.

The only ramification of posting in a "wrong" section is that members who are not interested in that type of query may not read your post - not everyone reads every post in every section of the forum. If a moderator feels that your post might belong in a more appropriate section we will move it for you. This is done to try and get the best response possible to your query.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast