JulesLK

Default Maintenance Order Query

Hello

My Gt Gt Grandmother had four illegitmate children .... the first born in 1870 is shown with his maternal grandmother in subsequent census returns. The other three born in 1878, 1884 and 1890 remained with their mother. She was in domestic service until her employer's death around 1883, after which she obviously struggled as during 1886 she spent six months in the Workhouse with two of her children.

I have no idea as to the father of her children and my guess is because of the age gaps, they may well have had different fathers. But I did wonder whether it would be possible to try and find any maintenance orders in the local Archive.

Can anyone advise me ... as she was in employment and able to support herself and her two of her children up to 1886, is it likely that any sort of maintence order have been made prior to this point? Or when she went into the Workhouse would an order be pursued by the authorities?

Many thanks in anticipation
    Jules

Hollytree

You might find 'bastardy orders' in the local archives.

Have you looked for baptisms of them? I have seen (admittedly earlier) baptism entries where the vicar has put down in the entry that *** was the 'reputed father'.

Poor law unions didn't want (as I think you know) to pay for loads of women and children if they could find the father, but I have a mother who has had at least four children without marriage, but she seems never to have claiimed from an errant father.......

Anne

JulesLK

Hi Hollytree

I've found the transcripts of the baptism records, but haven't managed to view any original documents yet.

She and both her children were baptised whilst staying in the Union Workhouse on 6 April 1886. There are no father's details for either child and the mother is described as a 'single woman', abiding in the Union Workhouse. The church was close to the Workhouse and has since been demolished. I think I need to view the original documents as there maybe other information missed off the transcript !!

Regards
    Jules