Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    dalek39

Default Hankins of Herefordshire

If I want to know the names of parents ..which certificate should I go for. ..as in BDM....This couple married in 1755 in Colwell..Herefordshire...or do I need the Parish registers....thanks...

ET in the USA

Civil registration did not begin until Sep quarter 1837, so there is nothing at the General Record Office before that date. Have you tried familysearch.org for transcribed parish records ? Perhaps someone else knows whether Herefordshire has an online parish clerk, but I don't find one in my searching.
    Do you know anything more so that someone with an Ancestry [for instance] subscription can help ?
    ET

Jan1954

Have a look at the Herefordshire Records Office entry in the ARCHON directory. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Access to Archives. There is a search facility.

If you are not successful, then it may be worth an email to the RO itself.

jeeb

Hi dalek39,
    Unfortunately no marriage as early as 1755 is going to give the names of parents of bride & groom. As ET has already stated BMD did not begin in England & Wales until 1837. Though 1755 just comes after the 1754 Marriage Act I'm afraid parents will not be listed in parish registers either. What you will find after 1754 in parish registers is parish of abode for both bride & groom plus witnesses. Pre 1754 all that will be given is names of the couple with occasional mention if one is not from the parish.
    With regards to Colwell, this parish is right on the border with Worcestershire so you may need to extend your research into that county too. Worcestershire records will not be generally held at the Herefordshire County Record Office.

Jeremy

janbooth

Hi Dalek39,

Are you sure the date is correct? I have the Herefordshire Marriage Index and according to that there is no HANKINS marriage in Colwell in 1755. There are however the following marriages at Colwell:

15 December 1745 Anne HANKINS & William ALLEN
    9 May 1757 Mary HANKINS & Richard HILL
    21 October 1775 Nancy HANKINS & Richard KING
    26 April 1786 Caleb HANKINS & Mary HARCOURT of Ledbury

Janet

dalek39

Thanks ET...I did try and search the IGI Index, and a few parish records to no avail. I will check out if someone has a subscription ..but I think I'm pushing things with that date...many thanks..

dalek39

Jan 1954..............I'll have a look on that directory..and get back If I get somewhere....many thanks for that.

dalek39

Think you are right Jeeb...have looked on a few sites... On several they have the date right....unfortunately not being over there makes it difficult to do my own research, as in Parish registers. etc..but..thanks you very much..will check Worcestershire...see what they have...

dalek39

I'm as sure as I can be Janet....I found their marriage date on a few sites, if you want me to list them I will have to check my records.... I do have the others you stated, I think they may be of the same family...but its only guessing at this stage. I think I have done pretty well to get this far, but I just thought if I got the parents name..I could close the book so to speak....anyway...many thanks for your help...

jeeb

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Hi Dalek39,

Are you sure the date is correct? I have the Herefordshire Marriage Index and according to that there is no HANKINS marriage in Colwell in 1755. There are however the following marriages at Colwell:

15 December 1745 Anne HANKINS & William ALLEN
    9 May 1757 Mary HANKINS & Richard HILL
    21 October 1775 Nancy HANKINS & Richard KING
    26 April 1786 Caleb HANKINS & Mary HARCOURT of Ledbury

Janet
    Hi,
    It is actually COLWALL not COLWELL but I did find Anne 1745, Nancy 1775 & Caleb 1786 marriages in Colwall. There is as you say Dalek39 also the marriage of William Hankins & Mary Daffy 10 Feb 1755 in Colwall.

Jeremy

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast