Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    dalek39

Thanks Jeremy.. Its very confusing..but we will get it right I'm sure... In post 92..there is a William..who marries Sarah?..is that Sarah Daffy..? dont want to add to this masterpiece..but...also, I have found Joseph..b. 1708 St.John Bedwardine..Worcester..F/S has his mother as Elizabeth.....??? is this wrong? Also Edward hankins born 1714..married Ann Barton 19 Jun. 1739 All Saints Worcestershire.... Dale.

dalek39

Thanks Sue for that info...will try that, but just want to get this sorted in my mind first..appreciate your interest....Dale.

dalek39

Jeremy...in post 92..we have Edward.bap.23 Mar. 1714 Worcester...I have come across an Edward..born Weston Beggard 1710..married to Susanna Williams...marriage 15 Oct 1735... sorry to do this to you....where does he fit in? IGI Individual Record..F/S.. can we rely on this?

dalek39

Jeremy....I have just found in some papers I had..a note..Marriage Settlement..1623 Feb.17..William Hankins of Ledbury..Tanner and Ursula Hammond.. and... Susannah, daughter of John Elton .. Innkeeper..former wife of William Hankins of Ledbury..Tanner..is this significant ? How I came to this I forget, sorry, but strange I should have that..I have a feeling it was from the Archives....underneath I had written William hankins and wife Ursula..... Dale.

jeeb

Quote Originally Posted by dalek39 View Post
    Jeremy...in post 92..we have Edward.bap.23 Mar. 1714 Worcester...I have come across an Edward..born Weston Beggard 1710..married to Susanna Williams...marriage 15 Oct 1735... sorry to do this to you....where does he fit in? IGI Individual Record..F/S.. can we rely on this?
    Hi Dale,
    This is where you must be very careful using the IGI. This is a submitted entry and must always be treated with caution. What has happened here is that someone has found the marriage of Edward Hankins & Susannah in Weston Beggard and assumed he was born there 1710. This is highly likely not to be correct and though I have not trailed through the Weston Beggard registers with a 'fine comb' I think the marriage of Edward to Susannah is the first mention of the name Hankins there. To prove my point about submitted entries the IGI marriage is actually also incorrect to what I found in the parish register. What actually appears in the register is:-
    Edward Hankins & Susannah Bellicry were married 15 Oct 1734. ( now compare that with what the IGI says!)
    I made a point earlier that it is possible that Edward who married in 1734 is the one baptised in 1714 at Worcester St John. Of course I have not proved that and have only based it on my theory regarding the Susannah Will in which case he would be an uncle of your William. However he could just as easily be the Edward who married Ann Barton in Worcester All Saints in 1739. In that case we need to re ask the question 'who is Edward in Weston Beggard?'

Jeremy

jeeb

Thanks Jeremy.. Its very confusing..but we will get it right I'm sure... In post 92..there is a William..who marries Sarah?..is that Sarah Daffy..? dont want to add to this masterpiece..but...also, I have found Joseph..b. 1708 St.John Bedwardine..Worcester..F/S has his mother as Elizabeth.....??? is this wrong? Also Edward hankins born 1714..married Ann Barton 19 Jun. 1739 All Saints Worcestershire.... Dale.
    Hi Dale,
    I know this is very difficult to follow especially if you are not used to working with lots of different dates so I don't know really how to help you stop getting confused. A possibility is to write the various information on slips of paper and put them into some kind of date order as you are totally confusing the information I am sending you. The William & Sarah mentioned in post 92 baptise a son William in 1721 (this is the child I think could be your William) This is not the same William & Sarah (Daffy) who did not marry until 1756.
    With regards to Joseph baptised 1708, I had noticed that his mother is given as Elizabeth on IGI. It is almost certainly an error as he slots in with the baptisms of the other Hankins baptisms in Worcester St John and the parents are always given as William & Ursula, there is no other evidence of a William Hankins being in Worcester St John with a wife Elizabeth but I will try and check it out. This William & Ursula are having children from 1693 so again you are confusing dates and this cannot be the William Hankins who married Ursula Hammond in 1623. The Herefordshire Marriage Index does not have a suitable marriage for this William & Ursula but of course they are very close to both Worcestershire & Gloucestershire borders so it could be in one of those counties.

Jeremy

dalek39

Thanks Jeremy...no doubt your expertise is most welcome as I have a lot to learn... and as I see its easy to go off on the wrong road....just "pull me up" if I do, wont mind..
    I have re read your post re William Hankins and Susannah Elson..and its now starting to make sence to me...guess I was tired at the time...but then, as you say, its very confusing, and if you find it that way, what hope do I have..ha...take care...Dale .

dalek39

Will do as you suggest,Jeremy.. write down dates and names as I receive them and put them on a board....think I was just getting too over- enthused.. can't do that I know.. I would not be this far without your kind help..very very much appreciated .....Dale.

jeeb

Will do as you suggest,Jeremy.. write down dates and names as I receive them and put them on a board....think I was just getting too over- enthused.. can't do that I know.. I would not be this far without your kind help..very very much appreciated .....Dale.
    Hi Dale,
    When I reread my latest response to you it appeared as though I was 'getting at you' Please don't think that for a moment. My concern was that you are not understanding my line of thinking and I want to try and make it easier for you. There are just so many Hankins that it gets very confusing that I get muddled myself sometimes and I have been doing research for 30 years!
    What I have managed hopefully is with the aid of the Will of Susannah Hankins of Colwall and papers concerning the Hankins family amongst the Bidduloph family papers to connect the Hankins families of Dymock, Ledbury, Worcester & Colwall as being of the same family, but of course there are numerous branches shooting off through each generation and with this habit of using the same common christian names time & time again causes the problem. What we need to do for definite is make your William fit in!!!! I have my ideas but I need to do more research and this will take time but I love your enthusiasm and being able to try and help you. Please sent any details you may have even if you don't think they are significant because often a minute thread of assumed useless information can hold the answer.

Jeremy x

dalek39

Thanks so much for that Jeremy..and, no, I did not think you were getting at me...but I have to say, since your advice, I have put paper stick-ons on the wall with Hankins names and dates, and its easy to see where you are coming from now..no doubt we will have our headaches, which is understandable with such a large family...take care...Dale.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast