Frank52

Default Brit Army pension records

Greetings all

I'm hoping to find background info on my g-grandfather. He was Francis EARLY, born 1826 or 1827 in Lisburn, N.Ireland. I have no records of his parents, birthdate, place or religious affiliation. In 1834 (at the age of 7 or 8) Francis was enlisted as a "boy" in the 54th Regiment of Foot and shipped off to Madras in India. During 21-odd years with the Regiment he was stationed all over the old Empire: India, Gibraltar, Malta, West Indies, Quebec, and eventually, to Colchester in Essex. Around 1863 he was discharged from the Regiment on pension with the rank of Paymaster's Sergeant. I have most of his military history and Regimental Number. Any suggestions on how to access his pension records?

After leaving the army, Francis EARLY joined the British War Office as a clerk in the Pay Dept, a position he held until retirement from the War Office in 1886. Is it possible that records exist of his entering the War Office? I imagine applicants must have been required to answer questions like: date and place of birth, names of parents, education, etc., the kind of stuff government departments - and genealogists - love! All suggestions welcome!

Frank52

Thanks Graham. I shall have to be patient a little longer it seems.

Best wishes, Frank

SueNSW

Just to clarify the WO96 records are actually Militia Attestation Papers covering the years 1806 - 1915

This extract from the NA site explains what they contain

Other Ranks: records of service

The Militia Attestation Papers in WO 96 (1806-1915) were filled in at recruitment and, in most cases, were annotated to the date of discharge form a record of service for each militiaman. They include the date and place of birth. Most date from the mid-nineteenth century. Attestation papers are arranged in the order of precedence of the regular army unit to which the militia regiments were attached after the reorganization of the Army in 1881. The list of WO 96 gives the name of the regular unit as at 1881, not the earlier militia unit. The way round this problem is to consult the Army List of 1882 or after, and to find out from there which militia regiments were attached to which regiment

Cheers
    Sue