Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Walter John Mahoney

My Grandfather Walter John Mahoney ( sometimes known as Jack )was born about 1886 and died 31st December 1934.He and my Grandmother lived in East Ham London. All i know is that he worked as a Railway Porter. I assume he must have worked for at a London station. Would there be any records for him that may tell me where he was born, his appearance etc. Or would a Porter be to lowly for that and would i need to know the exact station he worked.
    Susan

colashbury

Hi Sue. Think I found him in 3 Athol Street, Bromley, London in 1901 living with a Turner and Collins family.
    He was with a Walter Mahoney 41 Son in Law.
    Miriam Mahoney 27 Daughter
    and walter J himself 15 as an errand boy/porter. Born London Greenwich.

colashbury

Saw that one but looks like John Walter rather than Walter John....Presume that yer know your Grandmothers name Sue...

Certainly seems like him. I think what took me off the scent was that there was a rumour that he was Irish from west Ireland. But as i say i don't have any proof. If it is him perhaps he left Grace as my Grandmothers name was Elizabeth Anna. She had her first child in 1912. I have never been able to find their marriage records. Perhaps that's why. This was why i was looking for Railway records . Thought it might give me information to confirm if above is the right one.
    Thanks for help
    Susan

colashbury

Do you have a maiden name...Maybe this was his 1st marriage....

Quote Originally Posted by colashbury View Post
    Do you have a maiden name...Maybe this was his 1st marriage....

The last name of Grace Rosina was Moore and my Grandmother's maiden name was Burton. She was born in 1889 in Much Hadham Hertfordshire. After Walter or Jack as she called him died Elizabeth didn't remarry. She was known most of her life as cissie.
    Susan

Brick wall demolition expert!

I see on the 1911 census, taken April 2, that Elizabeth is still single, living with her parents James & Jane in Much Hadham. Do you have the birth certificate of the first child born in 1912 ( or the details from that certificate?)

No i don't have that particular certificate. I do have all the names of their children as they were my Aunts and Uncles. I do have two other certificates, one for Barbara and one for Kitty. On one certificate the Father is John Walter Mahoney the other Walter John Mahoney Railway Porter. As i said before although her name was Elizabeth my Grandmother was always called Cissie. One birth certificate say's Cissie Elizabeth the other Elizabeth. Even her death certificate has Cissie on it. Think people forgot over the years what her real name was. I also have a couple of marriage certificates for their children. For the Father they say Walter John Mahoney Desceased
    Thanks
    Susan

colashbury

Hi Sue. Are the details above correct. Found them on 1891 census living at Nether St, ware , Stanstead
    James farm labourer 25
    Jane 26
    Annie 6
    James 5
    Elizabeth 1

Quote Originally Posted by colashbury View Post
    Hi Sue. Are the details above correct. Found them on 1891 census living at Nether St, ware , Stanstead
    James farm labourer 25
    Jane 26
    Annie 6
    James 5
    Elizabeth 1

Yes that's right.I also have the 1901 census though not the 1911
    Susan