Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rob Faulkner

Default SPICER /LANGDON 1862 SURREY

Census information give Henry's birth as Kingston on Thames or Surbiton, 1862. Free BDM have a registration for Newington June 1862. He died Yeovil Somerset 12 Feb 1927 after living his adult life in Somerset. He married Mary Emma Langdon (no entry found in GRO) with first child Alice Maud born 1886, William Charles 1888, Ethel May 1890-92, Rose 1892, Ellen 1897, Blanche 1900 and Ewart 1904. All the children were born in Martock, Somerset.
    I need to determine Henry's parents if the tree is to continue, and find Mary Emma Langdon. Is she from Surrey - were they married there?
    Thank you.

Thomasin

This might be going in completely the wrong direction, but let's get the ball rolling. Have you considered that there might have been a mistake with the name SPICER?

There is a John Webb SPENCER (b. Sturminster, Dorset abt. 1820) who married Louisa BEDFORD (b. Salisbury, Wilts abt. 1826), in March quarter 1850, Alderbury district. In 1871 they are living at Railway Station, Kingston on Thames where John was Station Master, with two children, Ella L (18) and Harry W SPENCER (11), both born in Southampton.

RG10; 861; 95; 24.

Best I can do at the moment!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Free bmd have Mary Emma Langdon born Sept q 1860 in Yeovil which is Somerset

colashbury

Hi Rob. Found them on the 1891 census living at Stapleton, Yeovil, Martock.
    Henry 29
    Mary Emma 28 born in 1863 Chiselborough Somerset
    Alice Maud 5
    William Charles 3
    Ethel May 6 months

colashbury

He was born, Surbiton Surrey and is an Agricultural Labourer....

colashbury

Are you sure that we arnt getting a bit mixed between 2 here.
    Found a Henry Spicer living at 117 North Street, Martock on the 1901 census.
    Henry 39 Labourer at saw mill born Kempton on Thames
    Emma 40 born Stoke Somerset
    Charles 13
    Rose 9
    Ellen 3
    Blanche 9 months.
    This showing his Wife as Emma rather than Mary Emma...............Colin

Thomasin

I think Rob must have found Henry on the last two censuses because of his knowledge of the two birthplaces, Kingston on Thames or Surbiton. Where was he in 1871 and 1881, though?

Incidentally, I don't think that in 1901 he was a 'Labourer at Saw Mill'. FMP transcribes it as 'Labourer at Law Gen'!! The last two words have been overwritten, but it's definitely Labourer at L .... G .. Going by other entries on the page, there was evidently a glove factory nearby. Could it be a shortened form of 'Leather Gloves' or 'Leather Goods'?

janbooth

There is a death registration in the March qtr 1893 at Yeovil (the correct registration district for Martock) of an Ethel SPICER, aged 2 which probably explains the disappearance of Ethel May between the 1891 & 1901 census records. Also a death registration for a Dorothy May SPICER at Yeovil in the March qtr 1897, aged 1 - perhaps another child??

The 1911 census shows Henry and Emma living at 18 Bond St, Yeovil, he being shown as a 48 year old Roadman, born Surbiton, she as a 50 year old born Stoke under Howe?, Somerset and children Ellen, Blanch & Ewart. They have been married 27 years, had 8 children 6 of whom are still living. Ewart the youngest son born 1904 is shown as born Yeovil not Martock.

There are certainly lots of LANGDON's in Chiselborough in the 1861 census, but at the moment I cannot find Mary Emma - will look more after lunch.

Janet

colashbury

My readout is deff a labourer at a saw mill as I have the census report itself plus a clear read out of Henrys details. Although you are correct, on the census report it does look to to me like law something, and it is crossed out.
    Jan, do you not agree that this looks like more like 2 different families although ages look correct and names are not far off, everything else is wrong....................
    Wot do yer reckon Rob...

janbooth

This looks as if it could be Mary Emma in the 1871 census of Chiselborough:

RG10/2413, folio 23, page 10
    Clothy Plott

William LANGDON Head Mar 32 Farm Labourer Somerset Chiselborough
    Anna Maria do Wife Mar 29 do do
    Mary Emma do Daur Un 11 Scholar do do
    Eliza do Daur Un 9 do do do
    Martha do Daur Un 7 do do
    Emily do Daur Un 5 do do
    Edwin do Son Un 3 do do
    Walter do Son Un 6 months do do

All transcribed as LONGDON by Ancestry.

And this looks like them in the 1861 census of Stoke sub Hamdon:

RG9/1642, folio 110, page 20
    Lower Street

William LANGDON Head Mar 22 Ag Lab Somerset Chisselboro
    Ann M do Wife Mar 20 Cloth & Lisle Glove Maker do Stoke
    Mary E do Daur 9 months do do

The E of Mary's second name could well be mistaken for an R and transcribed as thus which might be why she has been so difficult to find.

I can't find her for certain in the 1881 census, but there is a Mary J LANGDON, aged 18, born Chiselborough working as a Kitchen Maid in the household of an Edward TUFFNELL in Chelsea (RG11/86, folio 116, page 31) and I cannot find a birth registration for a Mary J LANGDON in Yeovil between 1860-64 on FreeBMD, so this may be your Mary Emma who has been incorrectly enumerated.

Janet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast