Tinker

Default What sort of school?

The husband of an ancestor of mine was a man called Edward Webb, born 1870 in Essex. He (and his wife) trained as school teachers, but by 1911 Edward was decribed as being a 'Science Lecturer,' and the couple's lodger as a 'Lecturer, Hygiene and Physical Exercises.' Would Edward and his colleague have been teaching at some kind of college, or at a private school, perhaps? The address they were living at was 81 Highbury Quadrant, Islington, if that helps. If anyone can shed some light on this mystery, I'd be grateful!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Edward Webb, born 1870 in Essex. He (and his wife) trained as school teachers, but by 1911 Edward was decribed as being a 'Science Lecturer,' and the couple's lodger as a 'Lecturer, Hygiene and Physical Exercises.' ... The address they were living at was 81 Highbury Quadrant, Islington
    I wonder if this could be him?

Teachers Registration Council
    Register Entry concerning WEBB, Edward
    Date of registration 1 December 1915
    Register No. 12228
    Professional address Berwyn, Totteridge, N20
    Attainments D.Sc. London, Fellow of the Chemical Society, Member of the British Psychological Society, Board of Education Certificate
    Training in teaching St John's College, Battersea, SW
    Experience Assistant Master - Sidney Road Council School, Homerton, NE, 1892-1897; Finsbury Pupil Teachers' Centre, Barnsbury, 1897-1906; Lecturer - Islington Day Training College, 1906-1914; London Day Training College, WC, 1914-1916; Strand Secondary School, LCC, 1916-1918; Inspector - LCC Schools 1918-

[stamped] Died - Vide Press Report

Tinker

Oh wow! That's him alright, Kerrywood, thank you very much! The family moved around Hackney/Homerton and Hornsey and Islington so the places he worked at tally with what I have on him. That last bit 'Died - Vide Press Report' has got me intrigued: I'd love to know where the press report would be! Looking at the last date, he might have died in the Great War - another avenue to follow up, I think.

Reputation beyond repute

If Tinker wants to take this further, I've had some success in researching members of the Schools Inspectorate in series ED 270 at the National Archives.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Looking at the last date, he might have died in the Great War
    My reading is that he became an Inspector in 1918, but no end date for that appointment is given.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    members of the Schools Inspectorate in series ED 270 at the National Archives.
    Thanks, Peter. That looks like a useful resource.

Tinker

Kerrywood, I've had a quick look at the CWGC site, etc, but found nothing there to suggest involvement in the war, so I think your interpretation of the facts is right. His death might be later than implied on the Register. There is a death registered for an Edward Webb of about the right age in 1920, but whether it's him or not is another story.
    Peter, I'm very tempted to take up your offer, but as his wife is a fairly distant relation of my grandfather, I don't think I could justify the cost...however, if you know anything about Attestation papers (Boer War), I might have a job for you......!