pipsqueak

Default County boundaries

I would like to ask help of those familiar with the geography of what was the Monmouthshire/Montgomeryshire border area in Wales. I'm currently researching my Price/Evans ancestors and would really like to find parish records, (I'm pretty sure they weren't chapel people) but I'm not sure where to look for them. I keep abbreviating both counties to 'Mon', which is pretty stupid!

These are the people I am seeking:
    Edward Evans, born Rhymney, c. 1865 and his wife Elizabeth Price, born Rassau, Llangynidr, May 1866
    Morris Evans, born Carno, c. 1823 and his wife Elizabeth ..............., born Darowen c. 1826
    John Price, born Cwmyoy c. 1819 and his wife Ann Thomas, born c. 1822, Llangynidr

I will be in the area very briefly in June and would like to at least be on the trail of some information before I arrive!

Thank you

Jan1954

Why not start with the Wales pages on GENUKI?

Monmouthshire and Montgomeryshire do not have a common border. They have Breconshire inbetween them.

It would be best if you used the Chapman County Codes - most FH Societies use this now - to distinguish which county you mean MON is monmouthshire and MGY is Montgomeryshire.

In the mean time Llangynidyr is in Breconshire (Powys now) and is on the side of a mountain. Up that mountain and over the top is Rassau which in Blaenau Gwent - part of the old county of Mon.
    Carno and Darrowyn are both in MGY
    Cwmyoy is in that part of MON that looks like a finger sticking up out of the top of the old county.

You really should consider membership of Gwent FHS. They have a very active branch in Ebbw Vale - just along the road from Rassau - and I am sure that if you sent a query to the editor of their journal you would get answers - the society has a separate members only forum here on B-G too
    And, as a point to ponder they have maintained their membership fee at the same price since 1996

I will declare my interest here. I am a member of Gwent FHS
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Mutley

There are several old maps of Wales, on the Freepages of rootsweb, here,
    that may help

pipsqueak

Thankyou for the suggestions. I looked again and was surprised that Carno and Darowen are so far north.
    I'm looking into the Gwent FHS, and I suppose I'll have to find another one for Montgomery.

The Federation of Family history Societies has all of them listed on their website - or even better you could look at the Association of Family History Societies in Wales website where there should be up to date info on all the Societies.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time