Paul S. Knapp

Default Nicolas Knapp 1592-1670

I am looking for the ancestors of Nicolas Knapp (1592-1670} married Elinor Lockwood {1608-1658} jn 1628. Immigrated to Massachusetts in 1630. His father may have been John Knapp, {1536-1604} married Martha Bloise or Blosse {born 1544} and his grandfather Robert Knapp, born 1510, married to Jane surname unknown born 1514. Unfortunately I do not know the counties that any of these Knapps or their wives were born in so I am posting on this forum. Some of these dates could be incorrect and I am looking for any discrepancies. Thank you for your help.

Paul S. Knapp

From www.familysearch.org I found that these Knapps are from Bures, Suffolk and I was able to register with the on-line site in Bures.
    Paul S. Knapp

Summer

Hi there Paul,
    I'm looking at Knapp family too. I have a lot of Primatt and Matthew Knapps all from Buckinghamshire area back until ~1730. So no way close to your lot!! Just thought I'd say Hi in case our paths cross in the future!
    Good luck searching!
    Cheers,
    Summer.

Paul S. Knapp

Hi Summer,
    Thanks for your reply. I see you are living in NZ. Did many Knapps emigrate to NZ? When did those emigrations start? Do you have any information on their occupations in Buckinghamshire in the 1700's? If I come across any Matthews from Bures, Suffolk I'll let you know.
    Best,
    Paul

Summer

Hi Paul,
    In NZ, but Australian. Have to make that distinction!!
    My Knapp connection is:
    Beaumont Orlando Primatt Knapp b. 15 DEC 1833 Linford, Buckingham, England to Matthew Knapp (Justice of Peace) and Anna Edwyn Burnaby. Beaumont married Mary Anne Hart and they came to Melbourne, Australia after birth of their first child - not sure why or on what boat, as my focus has been elsewhere at the moment. His daughter Augusta Selina Knapp (born in Oz) married John George Cowey (born in Sunderland) in Australia. They are my great great grandparents on my paternal grandmother's father's side of family.

As far as I can see on this side of the family they are a learned lot.
    The Gentleman's magazine, Volume 156, 1834: "May 2. At Broughton, Bucks, aged 34, the Rev. Primatt Knapp, jun., son of the Rev. Primatt Knapp, Rector of Shenley, Bucks. He was lately a Fellow of Magdalen coll. Oxford, where he attained the degree of M.A. in 1824".

The Gentleman's magazine, Volume 223, 1867: " In Upper Wimpole-street, aged 69, Matthew Knapp, esq., of Little Linford, Bucks. He was the eldest son of the late Rev. Primatt Knapp, of Little Linford, and rector of Shenley, Bucks, by Rebecca Ann, dau. of — Goodwin, esq. He was born at Bath, April 3,1798 ; educated by private tutors, and graduated at University Coll., Oxford. He was a magistrate and deputy-lieut. for Bucks. He married first, in 1329, Anna, youngest dau. of the late Edwin A. Burnaby, esq., of Baggrave Hall, co. Leicester (she died in 1836); and second, Mary Leigh, dau., of Richard Leigh Spencer, esq.; he has left, with other issue, by his first wife, Matthew Grenville Samwell, who now succeeds to the family estate; he was born in 1832, and married, in 1867, Catherine Eliza Spottiswoode, only dau. of the late Lieut. R. Robertson Bruce"

Found those gems just by googling. Gotta love unusual names!
    Cheers,
    Summer.

Paul S. Knapp

Thank you Summer for this fascinating piece of your family history. It is interesting to me that the Knapps were already in Bath by 1798. One of my interests is, of course, where did they originally come from. I believe the name means close or tight in German. Since they were already in England by 1592 ( Nicholas birth date) there could have been an earlier immigration from France , Holland or Germany. This will be a tough one to crack!
    Best,
    Paul