Thread: Gate Keeper

ch0pend0z

Default Gate Keeper

I have an old couple who were 'gate keepers' and living at 'Post way Toll Gate'. What exactly was the job? opening and closing gates? collecting money? Was it a responsible position? a lowly profession? a cushy number or a job for invalids?

daggers

I think you have it - collecting tolls, opening and closing gates. Probably counting numbers of sheep, cattle, geese etc. if they had to be accounted and paid for. There are still people doing this today, not just on the Mersey Tunnels, Severn Bridges etc, but on small country bridges. [I don't mean that cattle and so on travel on foot much, these days!]
    In one gate local to me, but early 19th century, the gatekeeper had been a constable. Others may have been ex-army atc.

kiwipom

You might find that the 'Gate Keeper' also had "tied accomodation", especially for Railways where the gate keeper operated the crossing gates.
    It may have been poorly paid but the accomodation made it attractive and it also meant that one member of the family could be employed elsewhere.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by kiwipom View Post
    You might find that the 'Gate Keeper' also had "tied accomodation", especially for Railways where the gate keeper operated the crossing gates.
    It may have been poorly paid but the accomodation made it attractive and it also meant that one member of the family could be employed elsewhere.
    My husband's father was a 'gatekeeper' in Ireland...opening and closing the gates for access across the railway. Their house near the crossing belonged to the Railways. I would say that the 'post way toll gate' was a cottage or similar by the gates...perhaps you could look on old maps for further information.

It would have been a respectable and responsible job and probably the whole family was involved in one way or another. What year are we talking about?

See https://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac..../TollGates.htm for interest.

junedye64

My father worked for the LNER at Stratford station in London from school I think. In the late 1920's he had an accident on the Railway which damaged his arm and he could no longer do the job he was doing.
    The Railway offered him a job as the gate keeper on a level crossing in Lincolnshire which he accepted.
    Can you imagine going from living in two rooms with four children in a tenament building in Mile End to a detached house surrounded by fields next to the railway. My brother and sisters were like the Railway Children. (before I was born).
    It must have been wonderful for the children but after four years my Mum got homesick, missed her family and they all moved back including one more baby.

June